I am an American of African descent who believes that the principles of the conservative movement are central to the survival of our nation. My choice to be a conservative upsets white liberals. In fact, one of them called me a nigger this week because I quoted Senator Jesse Helms in support of my opposition to the U.N. So be it; I can take that. But what really chaps my hide is when racist white liberals claim that I am alone -- that no other Americans of African descent are conservative.
Advertisement - story continues below
Here are the facts. According to the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, the leading African American think tank, only 1/3 of African Americans call themselves liberals. One third of all Americans of African descent call themselves moderates and 1/3 call themselves conservatives. In fact, 27 percent call themselves Christian Conservatives. One of these individuals is Dr. Melvin L. Johnson, pastor of the Heart of Christ Community Baptist Church in Brazoria, Texas.
America is now focusing on the South Carolina primary. The Confederate Battle Flag will be an issue of that election. Because I care deeply about America, I want to share with you what the good doctor has to say about this issue.
Advertisement - story continues below
By Dr. Melvin L. Johnson
Whenever I see the Confederate flag emblazoned on the front grill of a tractor rig, or a jacked-up pickup rolling on oversized mud grips, I automatically get this feeling in the pit of my stomach that there might yet be a segment of American society longing for days gone by -- still dreaming possibly of a day to come in which this silent symbol will fly over a culture where the flag-bearers are lords over all they survey, and people of my color will again become beasts of burden specializing in the pre-ordained class to lift that barge and tote that bale. But then I always seem to bring myself back to reality. I am not intimidated by the stars and bars, nor by the ones who wear or bear it!
Advertisement - story continues below
... (B)efore I am ready to march, protest and clamor over the Confederate flag, I would have to take a look around me and make absolutely sure that my own priorities are in order. (Done that!) Contrary to mob mentality, I have determined that there are more compassionate issues in America which stem from racist dogma -- rather than good, reasonable fundamental principles -- which have done far more damage to blacks than any flag flying over South Carolina's capitol building!
If the Confederate flag has any racist meaning, then black Americans should not be satisfied with the flag being banned, but should take a serious look around and honestly admit that there are more significant things which have inflicted much more damage to the black infrastructure ever since black Americans were freed from slavery and began to gain political power as a people. Unless these protests are only a political strategy contrived to create polarization and frighten those wavering in this pro-Democratic, one-party, race-cult mindset, we have an opportunity finally bring to light the evil specter many believe the flag adores.
Advertisement - story continues below
So I say that there are at least 10 issues organizations like the NAACP, the SCLC, the Martin Luther King Foundation and others must now address in order to prove to me that they are genuine and are not just political pawns, and modern-day step 'n fetch-its!
- Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution: If the Confederate flag offends black Americans, then the unsuspecting masses would be more so if they were to realize that Darwin's book actually was titled, "Theory of Evolution, or the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Survival." White racists often refer to blacks as being inferior, mongrels, sub-human, genetically unfit, ape-like, etc. This is the primary source of that belief system, and is taught, lectured and mandated each day! Written around 1854, this book's purpose was not to simply present a scientific explanation of life's origins, but more so to prove that the white race was superior to all others, and that it was morally right to have slaves -- especially blacks!
This is one of the most best-kept secrets in human history -- more guarded by academia than the location of the Ark of the Covenant.
- Planned Parenthood: This organization, founded by elitist-socialist Margaret Sanger, instituted a program called "The Negro Project" in 1939 which was designed to control the black population in the United States and ultimately the world! The strategy employed black leaders (i.e. ministers, doctors, lawyers, nurses, professionals and other blacks of community influence) to sell birth control and eventually abortion to fellow blacks in exchange for financial benefits, organizational positions, charitable donations, and today, radio and TV programs. This group has escaped practically every opportunity for scrutiny as to its part in the Tuskeegee Experiment and assisting Nazi Germany in the initial writing of its Jewish extermination laws. This organization has even today been so successful in controlling black birth rates that by the year 2005, African Americans will no longer be the largest minority group -- the Hispanics will surpass African Americans, thus wielding more political clout than any minority. We cannot say that the Confederate flag is responsible for the slaughter of our own babies- our own leadership has been bought and paid for!
- Public Education: Though blacks comprise only about 13 percent of the U.S. population, they make up almost 50 percent of the special education population in our public school system. For each special education student, the school system is given thousands more dollars in order to address each child's learning disabilities; however, by the time the black child becomes an adolescent, he is either a discipline problem or destined to a life of low-wages and poverty. Thus, there is a divergence in school funding and academic achievement in the black community; the dollars do not follow the ones they are supposed to benefit. The view of the Department of Education, NEA and TEA has always placed black children as being perpetual under achievers. African American parents are crying out for opportunities to get away from poor schools through voucher programs and the like, but the education establishment supported by black leaders have enslaved them as the ancient Egyptians did to the Israelites!
- Hollywood: The NAACP has recently settled with a major network because not enough blacks were on any of those lowbrow TV sitcoms. Yet, there has not been a black movie that has not been rated R in years. Quite possibly, the reason there were no black cast members on these sitcoms were because there were no roles for intimidating, angry, and profane characters specializing in drive-bys and crack-dealing! While nominating Tupac Shakur for the NAACP image award, the black leadership shunned the Cosby Show and criticized it as being unrealistic.
- Government Dependency Programs: By all means and measures, the federal welfare system has totally decimated the African American family unit. Each program disseminated into the black community is never designed to make the recipients independent of the system or program; it is never intended to! Government programs in the black community only serve to keep them dependent, not independent. Blacks who head these programs or support them are dependent upon the dependent. A monolithic, single-minded, stereotypical culture has been created as all are expected to bow down to the anointed provider of federal funds and be grateful.
- Black Church Invasions: Each political season, there is this courtship ritual that occurs in most black churches when governmental politicians put on their religious garb and call their black community servants to lead them up the aisles and through the pulpits and pews of the black churches in America. This rarely happens in white churches -- only predominantly in black churches. Politics have separated the man from his spiritual roots, causing even the preacher to lift up his eyes unto the hills of Washington, D.C., from whence cometh his help. Historically, the strategy of Margaret Sanger's The Negro Project has evolved into the political strategy of the Democratic Party.
- Self-Denigration: When it comes to crime, blacks are many times more likely to kill another black. Among young black males, there is a general attitude of disrespect for black females. Out-of-wedlock births are as high as 80 percent, as we have created an entire generation of fatherless children being reared through government subsidies. Marriage is at an all-time low, but our churches are full each Sunday. Could it be that we have listened so long to the prophets of doom, race-baiters and poverty pimps that we have become psychologically impaired? High-blood pressure, heart disease, depression are all related to stress. Can we be caught up in a cycle of self-destruction because our so-called leaders continually preach negative messages. If we start solving our own problems, then we would not need them.
- Plantationism: Today's black leaders take their marching orders from their white liberal masters. In my view, the leading media outlets to the black communities are supported by white liberal dollars as long as the massage the blacks continue to be slanted to the left. As long as the current black leadership and national figures are able to keep other blacks in their place, they will continue to receive those dollars. The political objective is to keep blacks as a uniform monolithic voting block while making to them as few commitments as possible. Today's social model suggests a nationalized plantation system for most blacks, different from any other minority group- owned by the white liberal/socialist/progressive class and maintained by black poverty pimps and race hustlers.
- Socialism: This model is built upon fear, envy and false promises instigated by the state. Joseph Stalin said, "If you inflict inordinate pain upon a people, but then feed them, they will follow you anywhere." Socialism is the stripping of individuality and making everyone the same. It is government bureaucrats and politicians plotting ways to stay in power by planning and manipulating your life. My impression is that the black community has become liberal white America's experiment in socialist doctrine. (They are) always inventing ways to keep blacks from figuring out the truth, continually pointing the finger of blame at conservatives as the source of all evil. Group-think, class-envy and governmental dependency has created a class of under-achievers. As some ex-convicts I personally know have been set free from prison and go back to prison because they cannot function in the free world, the socialist/progressive mindset of today'' liberal black leaders do the same for the average black person.
- Liberalism in General: Today's liberalism cannot be compared to the liberalism of 30 years ago. Yesterday's civil rights movement was based upon the Word of God and was led by a prophetic figure named Martin Luther King! In essence, white liberals have no moral directive of their own because that which they desire, to establish a utopian society without God is in itself immoral. Thus they need people to hide behind and push their agendas -- victims! They create victims from behind the mask of care and concern. Victims need advocates. Liberals then pose as defenders of the weak and downtrodden. The victims then exchange power (votes) for so-called security, while liberals sit as gods over their lives.
So in spirit, I agree that the Confederate flag poses a problem for me; but, I am not as concerned about what this flag may represent as I know that these 10 things are actually doing to the black community! For this reason, the Confederate flag falls way down on my "things-to-do" list. Its not in my top ten, probably not in my top twenty! But if those organizers of the protests are so adamant about the displaying of this flag, then they should not stop there- they should consider my top ten. Unless they are simply doing what they were told to do by their masters!
Dr. Melvin L. Johnson, pastor, Heart of Christ Community Baptist Church, P.O. Box 859, Brazoria, Tex. 77422