In “Living History,” Hillary Rodham Clinton says she had no idea Vincent Foster, whom she describes as her “best friend,” was seriously depressed before he was found dead of a gunshot wound in Fort Marcy Park July 20, 1993.

“I will go to my grave wishing I had spent more time with him and had somehow seen the signs of his despair,” she writes. “But he was a very private person, and nobody – not his wife, Lisa, or his closest colleagues, or his sister Sheila, with whom he had always been close – had any idea of the depth of his depression.”

Maybe that’s because he wasn’t depressed. Maybe that’s because he didn’t, despite Hillary’s insistence, commit suicide.

I know just talking about such matters brings the risk of ridicule. That doesn’t bother me. I deal in the realm of facts – and the facts, after 10 years, just don’t add up to a suicide by Vincent Foster.

The latest news on this front came last week – only in WorldNetDaily, of course.

Recordings of Miquel Rodriguez, the assistant U.S. attorney appointed by Kenneth Starr to investigate Vincent Foster’s death, show he doesn’t believe the official story of a suicide in the park. They reveal he was threatened to short-circuit the probe and was essentially forced to resign to make way for a cover-up. They indicate there never really was an independent investigation into this mysterious death.

This is a story I’ve been relentlessly trying to tell for a decade and I’m not going to stop now. But there’s a virtual media blackout elsewhere. Rodriguez claims to have talked to as many as 100 reporters over the years about the anomalies of the case. He says he spent many hours with a reporter from the New York Times. But nothing was ever published or broadcast. The story has been systematically spiked.

“This whole notion of (Special Counsel Robert Fiske and Starr) doing an honest investigation is laughable,” Rodriguez says, according to the tape.

The accepted verdict, that Vince Foster killed himself at Fort Marcy Park near Washington, was predetermined by a “higher authority” at the start of the investigation, asserts Rodriguez. He also says the White House was notified about the death even before paramedics reached the scene.

“All I know is that things did not happen the way Fiske says that they happened, and the reports don’t support what Fiske said,” Rodriguez stated. “There is nothing consistent with [Foster] committing that kind of violent act at all.”

The recording was produced by Patrick Knowlton – a witness in the case whose court-ordered appendix to Starr’s Foster report alleged a cover-up – and his attorney John Clarke.

Starr hired Rodriguez in October 1994 to lead the grand jury investigation into Foster’s death but he resigned the next spring out of frustration.

“I was told what the result was going to be from the get-go,” Rodriguez said. “This is all so much nonsense; I knew the result before the investigation began, that’s why I left. I don’t do investigations to justify a result.”

Rodriguez said his supervisor, Mark Touhey, who headed Starr’s Washington office at the time, squelched his efforts to issue subpoenas and call witnesses.

“My office was searched by him,” he said of Touhey. “I know what he’s capable of doing, and that includes throwing a tantrum and throwing chairs.”

Like Knowlton, Rodriguez claims the FBI threatened him, not only targeting his career reputation, but his “personal well being.”

“The FBI told me back off, back down,” Rodriguez said. “I have been communicated with again and been told to be careful where I tread.”

When Rodriguez began probing Foster’s death, he followed the standard rule that a violent, unattended death is treated as a homicide until evidence rules it out. He discovered, however, U.S. Park Police had ruled it a suicide from the start despite the determination of experienced paramedics on the scene who reported it as a homicide.

Rodriguez also notes a paramedic who arrived on the scene testified he found an automatic pistol in Foster’s hand, in contrast to later reports of a 1913 Colt revolver.

The official conclusion was that Foster shot the pistol through his mouth, but Rodriguez points out both paramedics observed a wound on his neck.

One paramedic stuck with his original observation, despite the FBI’s attempt to “shake him,” Rodriquez said.

The other was confused by the FBI, he said, “and kept saying what he saw, but they kept writing it a different way.”

“I saw pictures that clearly indicate that there is trauma on the neck,” Rodriguez said. “I believe it’s a puncture wound to the neck.”

How could such a conspiracy be kept quiet for all these years? Rodriguez has some thoughts on that, too.

“Everyone makes a very big mistake when they believe a lot of people are necessary to orchestrate some results,” he said. “All people need to know is what their job is, not why – be a good soldier, carry out the orders. There are a lot of people, starting at the very night the body was investigated, all the way down the line … told to do certain things” who “don’t necessarily know the big picture,” he said.

Only a couple of people are all that is needed to “control the central figures in the investigation,” he said.

Rodriguez said it is very misleading to say there were several investigations done.

“In fact, all of the investigations were done by the same people, the FBI.”

So, all these years later, we’re still asking the same question: What happened to Vincent Foster?

Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.