Less than a day after the terrorist bombings in London, the Palestinian Authority's official television channel broadcast a sermon calling for extermination of all non-Muslims.
"Annihilate the Infidels and the Polytheists! Your [Allah's] enemies are the enemies of the religion!" said Suleiman Al-Satari in a July 8 broadcast translated by Israel-based Palestinian Media Watch, or PMW.
Advertisement - story continues below
"Allah," the cleric continued, "disperse their gathering and break up their unity, and turn on them, the evil adversities. Allah, count them and kill them to the last one, and don't leave even one."
Referring to the timing of the sermon, PMW's Itamar Marcus noted that clerics in the Palestinian authority routinely include Britain in the "infidel" category.
"Such a call does not represent a new policy or even a shift in policy," Marcus said. "While the PA is careful to exclude this hate ideology from the image it presents to the foreign media, to its own people in Arabic the PA has always presented itself as part of a greater Arab-Islamic conflict against the West."
Marcus said this enmity is focused primarily on the U.S. and Britain, who are seen as the dominant forces of Western civilization.
Advertisement - story continues below
Palestinians are taught that it is predetermined that Islam eventually will rule over America and Britain, he pointed out.
The representation of current affairs as an Islamic-Western religious conflict is of particular significance given the overwhelming religious sentiment in PA society, Marcus said.
A recent poll showed 69 percent of Palestinians want the PA to follow Islamic law, or sharia, while just 16 percent prefer laws passed by their own Palestinian legislature. Another 11 percent wanted both.
PMW provides some other examples of pronouncements by clerics on official TV or radio:
- "America, Britain and Spain ... are uniting to strike at the people of truth [Muslims] in their homeland. This is the Infidels' way, oh Muslims. ... The United Nations, to our regret, has become Dar al-Nadwa [literally 'House of Assembly,' the term for the pre-Islamic meeting place in Mecca], because that is where the Infidels meet." – Ibrahim Mudayris, PA TV, Feb. 28, 2003.
- "The Infidel countries under the leadership of the U.S. made up an excuse and justification to wage their dirty war [post 9-11 war in Afghanistan] against Islam and the Muslims. ... Concerning evil Britain, which directly brought about this corrupt entity [Israel] on Palestinian land. Britain forgot that it is the height of terror and the height of hatred against Islam and Moslems." – Yusuf Abu Sneina, Iman of Al-Aqsa Mosque, PA Radio, Dec. 28, 2001.
- "Oh, Allah, destroy America and its supporters and collaborators. Oh Allah, destroy Britain and its supporters and collaborators." – Ikrime Sabri, mufti of Jerusalem, highest-ranking Islamic figure in the Palestinian Authority, PA Radio, just 18 days before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks:
- "It is our obligation to prepare for the soldiers of Allah who are advancing in the will of Allah, glorified and praised. We will prepare a foothold for them. Allah willing, this oppressive state will disappear, the oppressive state Israel. The oppressive country America will disappear. The oppressive country Britain will disappear - those who caused our people's Catastrophe [PA term for the establishment of Israel]. – Muhammad Ibrahim Maadi, PA TV, June 8, 2001.
- "The Palestinian nation is the strongest on earth. Look at all the civilizations! Look at all the states! Look at all the civilizations and forces and empires. To where did Great Britain disappear..?
"We [Muslims] have ruled the world and a day will come, by Allah, and we shall rule the world [again]. The day will come and we shall rule America. The day will come and we shall rule Britain." – Ibrahim Mudayris, PA TV, May 13, 2005.
"Allah, punish our enemies! You enemies, the enemies of the Religion [Islam]. ... Allah, punish America and those who set an alliance with it. ... Destroy them and destroy their weapons. ... Allah, cleanse the land of Islam from the treachery and shame, cleanse our lands from the conquerors' filth, from the filth of America and the defilement of Britain. ..." – Muhammad Jamal Abu Hanud, PATV, Aug. 1, 2003
- "Those [Jews] do not know what a homeland is and do not know what a land is. ... Concerning Palestine, it belongs to us. ...
"They came, expelled from every land, came to this very country and claming to have a national homeland on the land of Palestine, with the help of Britain. That vengeance still stands between us and them; [a vengeance] that will not be forgotten except by a coward or traitor." – Ibrahim Mudayris, PATV, April 4, 2004
- "In 1917 of the previous century, Palestine was conquered by Britain, on whom we place full responsibility for the events in this land. At this opportunity, we put the responsibility on Britain [for the creation of the state of Israel] and say: we will never forget our revenge! We will never forget our revenge on Britain, who cannot escape the burden of its historical, political and moral responsibility because of what it committed on the land of Palestine. ...
"Britain [is the one] that promised them [Jews] the establishment of a national homeland on the land of Palestine. Why? Because Britain resented the Jewish presence there, in Britain, and wanted to be relieved of them. ... " – Ibrahim Mudayris, PATV, May 13, 2005.