I checked out of the supermarket the other day wearing a WorldNetDaily cap.
The young man at the register noticed the cap and asked me about WorldNetDaily.
"What's that, like an independent news site or something?" he asked.
"Yes, that's exactly what it is," I said.
"Great, I'll check it out," he said. "I'm getting pretty tired of MSNBC."
From the very beginning, the most important word in defining WorldNetDaily has been "independent." Sometimes I think maybe people don't really appreciate that independence. Sometimes they seem more comfortable with the predictable labels than with the unpredictability of a truly independent news source.
So, I was glad to hear the reaction from this young man who knew what he was looking for.
That's the essence of the WorldNetDaily difference, as we head toward our ninth anniversary next month.
I'm also pleased when I run into people like the store clerk who haven't discovered WorldNetDaily. There are a lot of them. I meet them everywhere. Sure there are 8 million people who read WND every month, but I am convinced the only reason more don't is because they haven't yet discovered it – which leaves us plenty of room for growth.
Another thing that really sets WND apart from the rest of the media is our standards. I'm not just talking about our news standards, which many notice. I'm talking about standards that cost us in excess of $1 million a year – like our refusal to accept any gambling ads, any pornography, even any sexually suggestive advertising.
Then there is our refusal to accept any pop-up ads or pop-under ads. Those are the highest paying of Internet ads. We don't accept them because of our respect for our readers.
Do you know of any other news site that brings you the following?
- highest editorial standards and practices by experienced journalists – veterans of print and broadcast;
- fiercely independent editorial mission with no sacred cows;
- a commitment to exposing corruption, fraud, waste and abuse wherever it is found – no matter who the perpetrator;
- no pop-ups or pop-unders;
- no offensive advertising of any kind;
Seriously, now, is there any other news source that offers all that?
Out of principle and conviction, we have set our standards high. I believe it is those standards that have allowed us to reach 8 million different people every month and place us among the very largest and most popular news outlets on the Internet.
I am asking you to set your standards high, too.
Support the mission of this uncompromising news company. Do that by reading it daily, signing up for our free news alerts, subscribing to Whistleblower, our monthly offline print magazine, buying our books and other information products at ShopNetDaily and the WND Book Service and supporting our advertisers.
There are a few other ways you can help even more directly – with a voluntary payment to offset our operating expenses or a targeted contribution to help us battle those who regularly attack us in the courts.
- Choose the amount you would like to donate for your voluntary monthly subscription payment and it will be deducted from your credit card on that same date each month. (Just call or e-mail WND if you ever want to cancel or change the amount.)
- If you prefer, you can make a one-time voluntary subscription payment to WND.
- You may also donate to WND's Legal Defense Fund, to help us battle the lawsuits and threats that always accompany honest journalism.
- You may donate (or order from our store) by mail at P.O. Box 1627; Medford, OR 97501.
- Finally, if you prefer, you may donate by calling our toll-free order line: 1-800-4WND-COM (1-800-496-3266).
Are you with me?
Do you believe in the WND difference?
Will you help us make a difference today?