KIBBUTZ NAHAL OZ – The Syrian government has deployed security forces to protect overall Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal and has advised him to restrict all public activities for the time being, Hamas officials in the Gaza Strip told WorldNetDaily today.

Meshaal is believed to have called for the operation Sunday in which Hamas and other Palestinian terror groups carried out a well-orchestrated raid on an Israeli military station and kidnapped an Israeli soldier.

In response, Israel has deployed thousands of ground troops at the Gaza border and has threatened a major incursion.

Diplomatic mediators involved in efforts to free the captured soldier – 19 year old Gilad Shalit – told reporters it is Meshaal’s reluctance that has been the key obstacle. They said they were told Meshaal was indeed behind the directive to carry out the abduction and that they were hopeful his position against freeing Shalit would change.

In what has been interpreted as a threat to Meshaal, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert yesterday told reporters, “Let it be clear. We will find them all (terrorists), wherever they are, and they know it. Let it be clear that no one will be immune.”

He later said: “We will react against each and every terrorist and against each and every terror organization wherever it may be. They know we can reach them even when they believe they are safe. We do not act under pressure and therefore we have weighed our steps with patience. But the time leading towards an extensive, stern and harsh operation is growing shorter.”

Meshaal has for years enjoyed the protection of the Syrian government. Israel accuses him of using bases in the country to order terror attacks and raise money for his terror group.

According to Israeli security sources, Syria and Iran has been pressuring Meshaal against releasing Shalit.

“Iran and Syria both want an escalation in the region to distract from the troubles surrounding their regimes,” said a diplomatic source. “They want Israel to launch a ground operation. Violence helps them.”

Israeli security officials earlier this week told WorldNetDaily they have information the terrorists who carried out the Hamas raid and Shalit kidnapping were trained by Iranian Revolutionary Guard units and Hezbollah guerillas. The information comes in part from a Hamas terrorist allegedly involved in the plot who was arrested by Israeli forces in Gaza the day before the kidnapping.

Senior Palestinian security officials linked to Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah party told WND Hamas and other Gaza-based groups have been receiving advanced military training by Iran and Hezbollah in recent months.

The officials said the training included carrying out guerilla attacks such as the one perpetuated this week, methods of intelligence collection and instructions for the use of advanced missiles. The training, they said, took place in the Egyptian Sinai desert and at special camps set up in Sudan.

During Sunday’s raid in which Shalit was captured, eight Palestinian terrorists used a half-mile tunnel they dug to infiltrate Israel’s Kerem Shalom military station on the Israeli side of the Israel-Gaza border.

Soldiers at the border usually monitor the Gaza Strip and not the Israeli side, where the tunnel exit was located.

Upon exiting the tunnel, the Palestinian terrorists split into three cells, one lobbing more than 20 anti-tank missiles at an army tank; another attacking the tank with grenades, killing the two Israeli soldiers and kidnapping Shalit. The final cell attacked an army lookout post.

Two terrorists were killed during the raid, while the others escaped into Gaza with the kidnapped soldier. The army was not aware one of its troops had been kidnapped until several minutes after the operation.

Defense officials here called the raid “stunning.” It was the first kidnapping of an Israeli soldier by Palestinian terrorists since 1994. The operation went well beyond the scope of sophistication evidenced in recent Palestinian terror attacks.



Editor’s note: Want to go deep inside some of the most dangerous terror organizations on the planet? How about knowing the news before it becomes news? Would you like to tap into some of the most comprehensive information streams from intelligence organizations in the Middle East and from throughout the world and be privy to the latest behind the scenes moves of global decision makers?

Now you can get all this and more sent directly to your e-mail regularly throughout the week FREE, just by being a subscriber to Joseph Farah’s G2 Bulletin, the premium, online intelligence newsletter published by the founder of WND. Beginning Monday, July 3, G2 Bulletin will be offering a new feature called “The Galil Report,” an intelligence e-mail newsletter edited by WND’s Jerusalem bureau chief Aaron Klein. The only way to get it is to become a subscriber to Joseph Farah’s G2 Bulletin.

Annual subscriptions have been reduced to $99, while monthly subscriptions are only $9.95 for credit card users.



Christians and Jews unite in common cause

Definitive work on Mideast – available only here!

Related stories:

Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.