Oprah Winfrey recently spoke about a pre-Iraq invasion show, in which her guests questioned the war's wisdom and validity.
After that show, she said she received a bunch of hate mail. One letter writer called her the "n" word and suggested she go back to Africa. Those in the studio collectively gasped, the camera cutting away to a woman in the audience whose face showed astonishment and revulsion. The beloved, respected and widely admired Oprah? Getting that kind of mail?
Advertisement - story continues below
As an American who happens to be black; who believes in limited government; supports the war in Iraq and considers it a battle in the broader war against Islamofascism; opposes race-based preferences; and believes the Nanny State absolves the responsibility of charity, community, family and individuals – I receive a decent amount of "fan" mail.
Some gems from my mailbag over just the last couple of months:
- "Not since the Nazi [sic] has any propaganda been so successful at leading a population to certain doom. The war in Iraq, affirmative action, Israeli occupation and the so-called axis of evil, are but a few of you [sic] mission of disinformation. You recognized a long time ago that if you could speak for racist white America you would rise like a star above what your [sic] could ever be by telling the truth. … Your power is satanic and you [sic] arguments are based on mixing lies with the truth. Only someone skilled at confounding Devils can confront you on your program. In honest fair debate your arguments would dry up and die." – Anthony
- "You are so full of s--- your eyes are brown. Your Bush propaganda continues to hurt this country. You've been serving the Republican kool-aid for years now and the people are getting sick of it." – KJ
- "The sooner you stop defending the Jewish cabal of warmongering filth the better your soul will be." – Dave
- "Just what is your price? Stop being used as a smiling, shuffling, handpicked idiot of the establisment [sic] that refuses to acknowledge you as a man. There is a difference between being tolerated and embraced. How long must you continue to kneel and embarrass us!" – Anonymous
- "You are just a 21st century 'house nigga' who is 'gettin' over.' And for that, you are to be commended. But, don't be delusional! And by the way, [referring to former Clinton press secretary and current ABC News correspondent George Stephanopoulos as] George Clintonopoulos? Do you really think that is clever? Should you be referred to as Larry 'Bush's B-tch' Elder?" – Anonymous
- "Larry, you should not make the silly noises on the air while commenting on an issue. If only you knew how bad you sound you wouldn't do it. . . . Yuk, you sounds [sic] like a girl, in heat. Please ask yourself, why do I make these silly comments." – Jackie
- "The problem with you Reich wingers – when the Whitehouse 'idiot Savant' lies you can't separate 'The Wheat From the Chaff!'" – AZ
- "You have been saying that same old tired crap about Jesse Jackson and the Hymie town comment since you have been on the radio. That is over! It happened sixteen years ago! Unbelievable! I know that most of your ignorant ass listeners don't know that and they repeat your stupid, inane, and just plain pathetic comments as if they actually have some credibility. You are right about things being unbelievable. You are the one that is unbelievable. Calling you an Uncle Tom is much too kind. There are very few (if any) pathetic OREOS like you. Pitiful!!!!!! Why does the white man need an OREO crusader to defend them [sic]?" – Anonymous
- "Face the facts, s--- for brains, no-one uses the 'N-word' more than the black community, so you can shove your double standard right up your ignorant ass! You haven't got the brains God gave dog s---, and you are going to burn in Hell for your support of George Bush and his unholy invasion of Iraq. You've been wrong about the war from day one, because you are indeed, a very stupid man, and stupid is as stupid does. Go to hell now, and take your 'N-word' with you, s--- for brains." – Brad
Now, how does this make me feel? Years ago, a friend sent a poem which I framed and placed, for daily viewing, on the wall in my bathroom:
Advertisement - story continues below
You have no enemies, you say?
Alas, my friend, the boast is poor;
He who has mingled in the fray
Of duty, that the brave endure,
Must have made foes! If you have none,
Small is the work that you have done.
You've hit no traitor on the hip,
You've dashed no cup from perjured lip,
You've never turned the wrong to right,
You've been a coward in the fight.
– Charles MacKay (1814-1889)
Happy New Year. Here's to an even better 2007.