A Christmas Eve radio discussion about whether or not Jesus Christ is actually God has since erupted into an online war of words after WND polled on the question, as readers overwhelmingly voice that Jesus is indeed God.
The controversy began Dec. 24 when Joe Kovacs, executive news editor of WND and author of “Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You’ve Never Been Told,” was being interviewed on the Jesse Lee Peterson Show about biblical truth.
At one point, another guest on the program identifying himself only as “the Bible Go-to Guy” declared the Bible says Jesus is not God.
“You are breaking some serious news here on this program if you’re saying that [the Bible says] Jesus Christ is not God,” said a stunned Kovacs.
“It is serious news. And He is not [God],” responded the Bible Go-to Guy.
In the wake of the radio show, WND asked its readers the simple question, “Do you think Jesus is God?”
At press time for this article, more than 5,300 people cast votes, and at least 200 took the time to post in-depth explanations to the poll’s associated forum.
Just a brief sampling of the comments in the poll forum include:
- In every translation of the Bible we see that Yahweh was not alone during creation and He spoke in the plural, “LET US CREATE … ” (Simanticus)
- Jesus is the son of God, Jehovah/YHWH and not the same being. … After he was resurrected, he said he has been given all authority in heaven and on earth, but that doesn’t mean he is God himself. He is currently the ruling king, yes but not the almighty. (enigma)
- Agree this is a debate of ages. … I think in the end, we will all learn which is correct. And the key thing to keep in mind is that we are all on the same team :) (faamecanic)
“This is amazing and exactly what I set out to do when I wrote ‘Shocked by the Bible,'” said Kovacs. “I wanted to send people rushing back to their Bibles to get familiar with Scripture and look into issues for themselves, instead of just relying on others to tell them what’s there.”
The results of WND’s poll show at least 85 percent of respondents believing that Jesus is in fact God.
Four percent said Jesus is merely the Son of God, but not God; 3 percent think Jesus is the Messiah and Savior of mankind, but not God; 2 percent said only “God the Father” is God and no one else; and 1 percent believe Jesus was just a man.
“I understand why some people don’t think Jesus is God,” says Kovacs. “They are free to believe whatever they wish. But it’s hard to claim the Bible doesn’t say Jesus is God when it uses words such as ‘God’ or ‘the Almighty’ on numerous occasions for Jesus.”
Here are a few:
- the Word was God (John 1:1)
- But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever (Hebrews 1:8)
- For unto us a child is born … his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God (Isaiah 9:6)
- Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. (Matthew 1:23)
- God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. (1 Timothy 3:16)
- Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God (John 20:28)
- the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13)
- For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily (Colossians 2:9)
- said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God (John 5:18)
- Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God (Philippians 2:6)
- I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. (Revelation 1:8)
“I’m not here to convert anyone,” Kovacs said. “I just want people to crack open their own Bibles to see these and other verses on the pages of the Good Book.”
Get the book that champions biblical truth and maintains that Jesus Christ of Nazareth is indeed God. Plus, you may never have heard the spectacular,
ultimate destiny God has in store for you. It’s far more glorious than
just floating around on clouds in heaven! Find out what you’ve never
direct from your very own Bible!
A five-minute excerpt of the radio broadcast that sparked the debate about whether or
not Jesus is God can be heard by clicking the play button below:
|Joe Kovacs defends Jesus as
God on Jesse Lee Peterson Show
Kovacs’ entire 43-minute appearance on Peterson’s show can be heard here online, with Kovacs joining the program at the
1:44:14 mark explaining the details of Jesus’ birth. The issue of the divine
identity of Christ commences at the 2:06:00 mark.
While many Christians might not be stunned that the Bible refers to Jesus as God, Kovacs has been helping to open the eyes of even longtime believers who may have been misinformed about what the Bible contains.
In “Shocked by the
Bible,” Kovacs explains that if people just read for themselves without any
preconceived notions, they’d quickly discover:
- “Three Wise Men” are never mentioned in the story of Jesus’ birth, and no wise men at all
are shown present at the manger scene the night Jesus was born. (They showed
up later at a house when Jesus was a young child)
- The Bible doesn’t outright declare the day, month, year or even season Jesus
- There’s no mention of a Christmas tree or any tree in the gospels recording
Jesus’ birth. However, there is a custom mentioned in the Old Testament that
shows people decorating trees with silver and gold.
You might be astounded to find out what God says about such a practice
- Noah brought a lot more than just two of certain animals aboard the Ark
- The word “Easter” vanished from modern Bible translations
- God sought to kill Moses, shortly after telling him to lead the Israelites
- Jesus did not come to make everyone understand His message, and personally
- Jesus made personal appearances in the Old Testament
- The worst case of hemorrhoids in history is recorded
And these are merely the beginning of hundreds of facts that will stun even
those who thought they had a strong knowledge of the Bible and history.
“If you’ve never been into the Bible, or even if you have, there’s no need to
fear,” says Kovacs. “I make it quick, easy and fun for you to find out the
juiciest, most interesting stuff that never seems to get mentioned in church.
And I’m not talking about trivial facts and difficult names no one can
the Bible” skyrocketed to three No.1 spots on Amazon.com before and after its
It reached the No. 1 spot on the WND Best-Seller list several times.
International demand has even led to a deal to have “Shocked” translated into
the Korean language.
“If you think you really know the Bible, better think again,” warns Fox News’
Bill O’Reilly. “Your parents never told you this stuff was in the
Bible,” adds radio
talker and author Melanie Morgan. WND founder Joseph Farah simply says,
“‘Shocked by the Bible’ is nothing short of genius.”
Kovacs has written countless reports in his 25-year news career. Many have
focused on biblical issues such as chariot wheels
said to be found in the Red Sea, searches for Noah’s Ark and
the Ark of the
Covenant, and controversies over Christmas and
as well as the Saturday-vs.-Sunday
He has received many awards for news excellence from the
Associated Press and United Press International. He’s run television,
radio and print newsrooms in the U.S., as well as Budapest, Hungary. Kovacs is
also regarded as one of the premier creative headline writers in the news
Find out what
you’ve been missing. Get “Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts
You’ve Never Been Told” personally autographed by the author. It makes a
brilliant gift that will be remembered for a lifetime.
To interview Joe Kovacs, author of “Shocked by the Bible,” please contact him.