A petition by the Democratic National Congressional Committee critical of Rush Limbaugh is backfiring as supporters of the talk radio icon pummel the party website with their own views.
Hundreds of people have signed the petition, which is introduced with the request to “Stand strong against Rush Limbaugh’s Attacks – sign our petition, telling Rush what you think of his attacks on President Obama.”
“Why [are] the public servants of the people that were elected by the people attacking a private citizen? Who is next – me?” said one post. “This is all the more reason TO LISTEN to RUSH LIMBAUGH. I HOPE OBAMA’S POLICIES FAIL TOO.”
Another contributor wrote: “I also hope this president fails, along with the current Congress. Many of the policies in the making are socialist. Creating a class of Americans dependent on the government is weakening this country and making it vulnerable to attack. We need fewer taxes, fewer regulations, and a lot less government intervention. I support Rush Limbaugh and his right to free speech. He loves this country and wants to keep it strong and a force for good. You seem to want the exact opposite.”
The petition cites Limbaugh’s recent statement that he hopes Obama fails, but many commenters on the Democrat website point out the radio host has explained he was taken out of context.
“Not that any of you Dems care but this is the rest of what Rush said,” said one contributor.
“We’re going to have to wait to see what he does. Now if he turns out to be a Reagan, if he adds Reagan to his recipe of FDR and Lincoln – and if he does cut some taxes – if he does not eliminate the Bush tax cuts, I would call that success. So yes, I would hope he would succeed if he acts like Reagan. But if he’s going to do FDR – if he’s going to do The New New Deal all over, which we will call here The Raw Deal – why would I want him to succeed? Look, he’s my president. The fact that he is historic is irrelevant to me now. It matters not at all. If he is going to implement a far-left agenda… Look, I think it’s already decided: a $2 trillion in stimulus? The growth of government? I think the intent here is to create as many dependant Americans as possible looking to government for their hope and salvation. If he gets nationalized health care, I mean, it’s over, Sean. We’re never going to roll that back. That’s the end of America as we have known it, because that’s then going to set the stage for everything being government owned, operated, or provided. Why would I want that to succeed? I don’t believe in that. I know that’s not how this country is going to be great in the future; it’s not what made this country great. So I shamelessly say, ‘No! I want him to fail.’ If his agenda is a far-left collectivism – some people say socialism – as a conservative heartfelt, deeply, why would I want socialism to succeed?”
Said another, “I know… it’s crazy that a conservative Republican would want liberal Democrats to fail. WEIRD.”
Among the other comments responding to the Democrats’ request for condemnation of Limbaugh:
- Should I stay tuned to this blog in the future for information on the Reeducation Camps?
- Did any liberals stand up and say ‘I hope George Bush succeeds with his conservative agenda’?
- The context is, if President Obama insists on turning this country into a Marxist, Socialist, Communist State, then those of us who believe in Capitalism, Freedom, Liberty, Justice, and the Constitution of the United States of America DO hope his attempts to CHANGE this country fail.
- Rush on!
- “Barry Soetoro who was adopted by his Indonesian stepfather is not a U.S. citizen and, if he wasn’t coddled by the liberal media, his status as an illegal foreign agent would be known today. I too hope he fails because B. Hussein Obama has lied to this country.
- I also hope Obama fails. I hope he fails if he continues the path towards nationalization. I hope he fails if he continues the path towards the continued destruction of our personal liberties. I hope he fails if he continues to move towards implementing socialist policies which serve to further weaken this great country. If Obama chooses to uphold the constitution, fight for personal liberties and work against the general entitlement mindset that has and is becoming so commonplace amongst Americans then I hope he succeeds. Limbaugh was exactly right.
- Hey, you Socialist Democrats 57 million of us didn’t vote for Mr. Obama, and as far as I know he hasn’t signed an Executive Order revoking our First Amendment Rights! So, Rush and every one else has a right to voice their opinion and most especially when we don’t agree with you and Obama’s socialist policies. You Democrats don’t want to just be in charge you want to dictate and dominate everyone in the country can you say Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro.
- DITTO RUSH. I too hope Obama’s socialists policies fail.
- Silence Rush??? Au contraire!!!! And listen to a thing that spews forth utterances like, ‘I won! I’m the President!’?”
- Where was the DCCC when Bush was being called a killer/Nazi/etc? I guess no one cared when liberals wanted Bush to fail. This site is a joke and so is the DCCC!
- So the Dems spent 8 years trashing Bush and openly wishing his policies would fail. Now that Obama is in office, they go after everyone that does not bow at the very sound of his voice.
- Rush is right, folks. He is thoughtful, brilliant, forward-thinking, and articulate. I hope Obama’s plans fail, too. If I wanted to live in a socialist country, I would move to one.
In rare support for the Democrats’ position, one participant wrote: “Some of the people responses on this blog is just as idiotic as Rush, I mean what part of crisis do they not understand?”
Limbaugh addressed the issue on his program.
“They have an online petition at the DCCC website that has a 19-second clip of me saying I hope Obama fails,” he said. “It’s taken totally out of context and it’s presented as, ‘Tell Rush Limbaugh what you think! Here’s a message and hit the submit button, and we will send it to Rush.’ So it’s a flood-my-inbox kind of campaign, and on my website last night, we linked to their home page where you can send the DCCC a message yourself. So we did a reverse petition last night at RushLimbaugh.com. It’s still up there. So you go to RushLimbaugh.com, the reverse petition sends them a message from you, and it’s been going gangbusters all night.”
He also explained why he doesn’t want Obama’s agenda to succeed.
“I’ve been listening to Barack Obama for a year-and-a-half. I know what his politics are. I know what his plans are, as he has stated them. I don’t want them to succeed,” he said. “Look, what he’s talking about is the absorption of as much of the private sector by the US government as possible, from the banking business, to the mortgage industry, the automobile business, to health care. I do not want the government in charge of all of these things. I don’t want this to work.
“What’s new, what is unfair about my saying I hope liberalism fails? Liberalism is our problem. Liberalism is what’s gotten us dangerously close to the precipice here. Why do I want more of it? I don’t care what the Drive-By story is. I would be honored if the Drive-By Media headlined me all day long: ‘Limbaugh: I Hope Obama Fails.’ Somebody’s gotta say it,” he said.
“I want Obama to fail because his agenda is 100 percent at odds with God’s. Pretending it is not simply makes a mockery of God’s straightforward Commandments,” he wrote.
“So you will not see me joining in the ritual of affirming Obama and his mission in public or private prayer this week – or any other week. Instead, I uphold the words of Jesus in Matthew 15:14: ‘Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.’ And I take warning from Isaiah 9:16: ‘For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed,'” said Farah.