Republican Rep. Joe Wilson created waves that left Washington rocking for weeks by shouting “You lie” to Barack Obama during the president’s address to Congress last fall, and now a similar message has been delivered by a member of the president’s own party.
Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., told an audience today the president is “beginning to be not believable to me.”
The comment was just the latest evidence of the dissension in the Democratic Party that prevented Obama from passing his health care proposal last year despite having a significant party majority in the U.S. House and a supermajority of 60 votes in the Senate.
Rockefeller, a Democrat in a family of lifelong Republicans, was referring to Obama’s proposed budget that would cut tax incentives to coal mining companies.
The cut would hit West Virginia’s coal industry hard, and Rockefeller’s dissatisfaction was evident in the video posted on Real Clear Politics.
Obama’s budget proposal would kill $2.3 billion in coal tax breaks, Rockefeller pointed out.
“He says ‘I’m for clean coal,’ and then he says it in his speeches, but he doesn’t say it in here. And he doesn’t say it in the minds of my own people. And he’s beginning to be not believable to me,” Rockefeller said.
Participants in a Real Clear Politics online forum said, essentially, it’s about time:
- “You must have a pretty thick skull, Senator Rockefeller, if you’re just now starting to notice.”
- “Too late, the monster is out of the bag.”
- “I believe BHO is not lying intentionally … He literally cannot tell the difference from the truth and a lie.”
- “What he is saying, in other words, is ‘YOU LIE!'”
- “Old Rocky may be an extreme liberal but he can still read the tea leaves and they are telling him that Obama has become toxic even for ‘senators for life’ like him.”
Democrats in Congress have bickered over specific aspects of health care legislation, blamed White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel for the effort’s failure and have been unable to reach agreement on legislation even when Republicans were not invited to the discussion, notes The Hill newspaper.
Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., also has blasted Obama’s chief political strategist, David Axelrod, over the failure to advance Obama’s agenda.
It was last September when Wilson yelled “You lie!” in response to Obama’s declaration in a speech before Congress that his plan wouldn’t provide tax-paid health care to illegal aliens.
The congressman apologized to the president but refused to apologize to members of the House.
WND columnist and former U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo said even though “liberals went nuts,” Wilson actually was right.
“Obama conceded as much when two days later the White House issued guidelines to close some of the loopholes that allowed illegal aliens to acquire health insurance in the House bill,” Tancredo wrote. “But despite those guidelines, illegal aliens are still eligible for Obamacare under both the House and Senate bills.
“An analysis by the nonpartisan Center for Immigration Studies exposes how easily illegal aliens will be able to exploit our health-care system under Obamacare. The health-care bill contains four provisions that increase government spending. There are two massive government expansions: the much discussed ‘public option’ and a sharp increase of Medicaid subsidies. In addition, it includes two ostensibly market incentives: the semiprivate ‘Health Insurance Exchange’ and ‘Affordability Credits’ that are basically tax credits for low-income households. However, the Exchange will be heavily subsidized by the government, and families eligible for ‘Affordability Credits’ are not paying taxes, so a ‘tax credit’ is just another form of welfare,” Tancredo explained.
“What this means is that any part of the health-care bill that illegal aliens are eligible for will involve subsidies by the American taxpayers. Illegal aliens are eligible for all of them!”
At the recent Tea Party Nation convention in Nashville, Judge Roy Moore, a candidate for governor in Alabama, presented a “bill of particulars” against the president.
- He has ignored our history and our heritage, arrogantly declaring to the world that we are no longer a Christian nation. He’s elevated immorality to a new level, setting aside the entire month of June last to celebrate Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender pride.
- He now threatens to change our law, 10 U.S.C. Section 654, to allow homosexuality in our military in direct opposition to the law which says that the attempt to engage in homosexuality will create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capability.
- He has apologized to the Arab world for our past, subjugated our national sovereignty by bowing down to the king of Saudi Arabia.
- He has pursued a socialist agenda by taking control of private companies and pushing a national health-care plan with a public option. Backed by a willing Congress, he has bought off our senators and our representatives with our own money in an effort to mandate this agenda. And when opposed by members of the Senate, he smugly smiled and said, “I won.”
If you would like to sound off on this issue, participate in today’s WND Poll.