1. The unruffled gravitas of Ron Paul upholding the Constitution in a field of weathervanes?
7. "Hood" gangster, invoked by many upon (rightly or wrongly) taking the law into one's own hands
12. Checkout-line tabloids, when proclaiming "Where's the real birth certificate?"
14. Chocolate-covered cherry, for instance, or similarly sweet "goody-goody"
15. Congress, as it raises its own credit-card limit for the hundredth time
16. With the abruption, and often-inferred dismissiveness, of "Silent Cal" Coolidge
17. Common Far East name that sounds like it comes from a British land?
18. Polished communicator at the United Nations (or in Western Europe), usually
20. Supermodels have stopped taking these in their arms in favor of taking them in their noses!
22. Datum by which good Superbowl tickets are differentiated from bad
23. Second half of a chintzy tchotchke
27. Fast-track a fortunate favorite (in), or blackball a black sheep (out)
28. Like a well-tended flag at the home of a patriotic citizen: 2 wds.
31. Caption for a coffee-table-book art inset, or a birth-certificate forgery nuance: 2 wds.
33. Presented as a model of method or process; exemplary: 2 wds.
34. Is this song, from Front Line Assembly's "Implode", really about Obama's biography?: 2 wds.
38. The nineteen-sixties, for Diana Ross and the Supremes, e.g.: 2 wds.
39. Color that design consultants claim they can distinguish from the blues
42. What Jay Carney may consider Les Kinsolving after a question on bestiality
43. With "al-Islam", the Muslim-dominated region (or "house") in the world: Arabic
44. Rounded bump or other handhold found on trees and cliffs by intrepid climbers
45. Hat worn by Congressmen when voting that other people's money be spent on their friends?
48. Epitome of the "honest politician", who suspended habeas corpus before Dubya did
49. Nickname for the Republican candidate notable for slipping in and out of marriages: 2 wds.
53. Spiced salmon with caraway, perfect for burying a Scandinavian bagel?
55. Two-legged dragon popular in British logos and among cryptozoologists
56. Author and tea-party activist Joe of "Obama in Wonderland"
57. High-contrast trompe l'oeil that either hypnotizes or gives a splitting headache: 2 wds.
58. Typical 100-page booklets, stapled, folded and self-published, at the printer
1. Maria von Trapp's former boss, before she moved to Vermont
2. Foundation block of classical edifices or modern rationales
3. Indolent torpor, apathetic ennui and interminable sloth
4. Internet designation that no longer means nonprofit or pro-bono: abbr.
5. What cross-country runners call their attempts to get away from each other as far and fast as possible
6. Possible reaction when government officials threaten to overtake, regulate and smart-meter utilities
7. Profit-taking minicrash or other market manipulation that soaks the middle-class
8. Ending affixed to "Michael Moore" to describe his followers?: suffix
9. "Blaze Modern" flavor you can enjoy at White Castle with beer or wine: abbr.
10. Social Security "lockbox" or "trust fund" or other Ponzi-scheme redirections: abbr.
11. Standing at the Pentagon but pointed toward the Lincoln Memorial: abbr.
13. Money taken via "voluntary taxation" and immediately redistributed to others on request: abbr.
14. Game deer widely sought for their upscale leather: 2 wds.
16. Prepped a freshly scrubbed candidate (or other meme) for primetime gazers: 2 wds.
19. Much harder to live through than before, usually due to insidious subversion: 2 wds.
21. Is precluded from the option or otherwise completely fails to: 2 wds.
23. TV and movie star noted for "Juno" and "The Kingdom"
24. Muscovite state news organization ___ Novosti: abbr.
25. "Supreme leader" and ayatollah Khamenei of Iran, potential target of 2011 bombings
26. Unit for measuring the quality of a Harley Davidson, perhaps: abbr.
28. Discompose silently, as George Washington once did to Gouverneur Morris: 2 wds.
29. Hapless picnic toy banned by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 1988: 2 wds.
30. Alta ___ (raw-milk producer targeted by Los Angeles government authorities)
32. Nondescript sailboat favored by suicide attackers and drug runners
34. Official tasked with maintaining domestic tranquility on the field: colloq.
35. San Francisco valley named after a Biblical patriarch and featured in "Sister Act"
36. Waterspeed or airspeed measurement: abbr.
37. Impoverished condition oft-created by state-actor mismanagement
40. Presenting a suave and polished exterior that mingles well among the elite
41. Controversial host of "Infowars" and popular host of "Jeopardy!"
44. Actor who plays a Messianic figure in an apocalyptic mind-controlled society
45. Forward and flippant with self-expression and freedom of attitude
46. Website components, every one of which here now bears the logo hidden in this grid: abbr.
47. Region the U.S. left in 2011 while reserving all string-pulling rights behind the scenes
49. The barest possible adjective for Reagan's economy-boosting presidential terms
50. Extreme depression based on perceived illness, in Jonathan Swift's slang: colloq.
51. Union-friendly political leader who was promoted to national "spiritual leader"
52. Uncle of King Saul and father of his army commander, in First Samuel
54. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth", for short: 2 wds., abbr.