(BAPTIST PRESS) — An archaeological survey led by Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary has discovered a bilingual inscription at the ancient site of Tel Gezer, Israel.
A boundary stone at the biblical city of Gezer -- first discovered in 1881 but not seen since -- is one of two discoveries reported this season by an archaeological survey team in Israel led by Southwestern Seminary.
Gezer, a biblical city, was situated on the border between the Israelite and Philistine territories guarding the route to Jerusalem. The city was given as a dowry to Pharaoh's daughter, who married King Solomon. Gezer is well known in the later Maccabean period for its boundary stones with inscriptions in both Hebrew and Greek.
In addition to finding the new inscription during the week of May 21, Southwestern's survey team has rediscovered an inscription that had been lost to the archaeological community for more than a century.
Advertisement - story continues below