(FOX NEWS) — A woman suffered third-degree burns after what appeared to be the spontaneous combustion of rocks that had been scooped up from a Southern California beach, a fire official said.
The 43-year-old woman's children collected the rocks Saturday at San Clemente Beach, and she tucked them into the pocket of her shorts, according to the Orange County Register. While the woman was standing in her kitchen Saturday after returning from the beach, the rocks somehow caught fire, burning the woman's right thigh and knee, said Capt. Marc Stone of the Orange County Fire Authority.
The woman tried to stop, drop and roll but couldn't extinguish the flames, Stone said.
Advertisement - story continues below