Several months ago, on Sept. 11, 2012, four brave American diplomats were killed and 10 other Americans were injured in Benghazi, Libya, by a mob of between 125 and 150 heavily armed Islamists.

This jarring event was a grim reminder of the continued threat to America that exists and should have been a wake-up call to the Obama administration about the deadly nature of radical Islam. But here we are now, 10 months later and still no answers or explanations from the Obama administration about what exactly happened, why it happened and what those in charge knew while it was happening.

It’s time for answers, and it’s time for our commander in chief to stop stonewalling. Americans need and deserve to know the truth.

The attacks occurred, of course, on the anniversary of the most deadly terrorist attack ever on American soil and in a region full of anti-Americanism and radical Islam. They were carried out by men wearing tunics and flak jackets, driving trucks with the logo of a known Islamist militant group and screaming, “Allāhu Akba.”

With just these basic facts, it’s not hard to see what happened here. Our American diplomats were the victims of a coordinated terrorist attack carried out by the same people who crashed planes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon 11 years earlier. These were the same people who have been determined to inflict as much harm on us as they possibly can. They’re the same people who will continue to target and murder innocents in the name of jihad.

So, why has it been so hard for the Obama administration to say this? What did they know about these attacks and when? And in the face of mounting evidence on the nature of the Benghazi tragedy, why aren’t they saying anything? Is it the case that the diplomats were concerned about their safety and requested additional security that never arrived? And why was Gregory Hicks, a veteran State Department official who raised questions about the administration’s version of what happened, demoted? These are the questions we want answered. These are the questions Americans deserved to have answered.

Following the attacks, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton blamed the incident on an inflammatory low-budget and obscure Internet movie that was supposedly produced in the U.S. and is offensive to Muslims. In talking points circulated in the administration to be used on television news programs, the attacks were attributed to “spontaneous demonstrations” about what she called the “awful Internet video.” Mrs. Clinton has said the buck stops with her on the Benghazi attacks. If that’s true, that responsibility requires answering the important questions about who knew what and when.

Earlier this year when called to testify before Congress on the matter, Mrs. Clinton asked, “What difference does it make?” Clinton meant, why should we care if they were spontaneous demonstrations or coordinated terrorist attacks? Well, it makes a big difference. It matters in how we prepare ourselves and prevent future attacks. It matters to the victims’ families, and it matters to the American people. We need leaders who are willing to be open and honest about these attacks and other threats to Americans. I agree with Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., when he said, “There’s no statute of limitations on the truth.” It does make a difference. It does matter.

Fortunately, this matter is not closed. The United States House of Representatives Oversight and Government Reform Committee is conducting hearings to uncover new and important details on the attacks from those who were involved. And there is plenty of good work being done by media outlets like the Weekly Standard to shine light on this tragedy. I think we’ve only scratched the surface on what led up to the attacks, and there is much more to come out.

Patriot Voices has been watching this scandal unfold each day, sharing with you our disbelief that we still don’t know the truth about what happened that night. We have created what I think is a compelling video (one that you can view here) that asks the questions we want answered from former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It’s time we hear the truth about what happened in the days leading up to those attacks, what our government is going to do to seek justice for those lives lost and how they will prevent such deadly assaults in the future.

I hope you agree that it’s time for former Secretary of State Clinton to answer these questions and ask that you please share this video on your Facebook page and with your Twitter followers. We can only get the truth if millions of Americans stand together to demand it. Help us expose the truth about what happened in Benghazi, Libya, when four brave Americans were brutally killed.

Receive Rick Santorum's commentaries in your email

BONUS: By signing up for Rick Santorum's alerts, you will also be signed up for news and special offers from WND via email.
  • Where we will email your daily updates
  • A valid zip code or postal code is required

  • Click the button below to sign up for Rick Santorum's commentaries by email, and keep up to date with special offers from WND. You may change your email preferences at any time.

 

Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.

Leave a Reply