A video released today by the FBI shows the alleged Washington Navy Yard gunman entering the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters, loading a shotgun and sneaking up on victims.

The compilation of silent surveillance-video clips, a total of half a minute long, shows an intent Aaron Alexis in the hallways Aug. 16 looking for people.

The released video ends before he starts shooting.

It includes his car entering the parking lot, then shows him carrying a bag through double doors.

It cuts to him in a hallway, apparently inserting a cartridge or cartridges into a shotgun.

He then moves down a hall, pointing the shotgun in doors as he passes.

Alexis then goes down a stairway, into another hallway and hides in an alcove while the camera shows people at the far end of the hallway.

‘Stand down order’

As WND reported yesterday, a congressman confirmed a “stand down” order was given to a rescue team that could have responded almost immediately.

In an interview with Jake Tapper of CNN, Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, said his information came from a member of the rescue team.

Ultimately, authorities said, Alexis was shot and killed by police after he allegedly shot two dozen people at his place of work, killing 12.

The Atlantic Wire and other outlets reported several days after the attack that there was a “tactical unit of heavily armed Capitol police” near the scene “as it happened, ready and capable of stepping in.”

But multiple sources, according to the report, said the unit was ordered to stand down.

The Wire report said the officers were part of a four-person Containment and Emergency Response Team with routine responsibilities of guarding the Capitol. But they were wearing full tactical gear and armed with assault weapons, the report said.

They arrived on the scene of an active shooting but were told, according to initial reports by BBC News, “to leave the scene.”

Capitol police officials said they were investigating.

McCaul, in his interview with Tapper, said that agencies, reportedly, were having problems communicating with each other.

“The idea that we’re not interoperable is really inexcusable, so we will be investigating that,” he said. “I plan to hold a hearing on the House Homeland Security Committee on this issue.”

He then referenced the “stand down” order.

“I just happened to bump into one of these SWAT team members outside the classified briefing room at the Capitol and he told me about how the … and I heard this firsthand, that his commanding SWAT team officer told them to stand down.”

McCaul said team members were eating breakfast when the commanding officer told them to stand down.

“That’s obviously of great concern when you have a SWAT team that close by that could respond to the situation,” the congressman said.

“I need to verify the veracity of that statement. I’ve no reason to believe he was simply making this up, and so that’s something obviously we’re going to be looking into.”

McCaul’s interview:

Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.