Did Barack Obama really say those things I heard him say yesterday – or were my ears deceiving me?
Let me count the lies and deceptions in this rather brief address:
- "Because Democrats and responsible Republicans came together, the first government shutdown in 17 years is now over. The first default in more than 200 years will not happen."A default was never a possibility unless Obama insisted on default to punish the American people for not listening to him – the same way he punished them by closing national parks and monuments and prohibiting priests from serving Communion to Catholic soldiers under threat of arrest. The Republican House specifically put forth a bill to take default off the table. The Democratic Senate refused to vote on it. Obama was the author of the default lie from the beginning. He was the only one who kept threatening it.
- "These last few weeks have inflicted completely unnecessary damage on our economy. We don't know yet the full scope of the damage, but every analyst out there believes it slowed our growth."What? This is Obama coming up with a new excuse for the failing economy he created. Indeed it will get worse. But it will get worse because Congress refused to kill Obamacare, cut spending and freeze borrowing. Obama's business-as-usual approach to government is what is killing the economy.
- "We know that just the threat of default – of America not paying all the bills that we owe on time – increased our borrowing costs, which adds to our deficit."Who was it that threatened default? No Republican ever did. Obama did. Harry Reid did. Obama's state-run media did. Default was never even a remote possibility unless Obama decided willfully not to service the interest on America's loan obligations. That could have been done without raising the debt limit. In fact, it would have been much cheaper to do so. Increasing the debt to pay the interest on the debt is fiscally irresponsible.
- "There was no economic rationale for all of this. Over the past four years, our economy has been growing, our businesses have been creating jobs, and our deficits have been cut in half. We hear some members who pushed for the shutdown say they were doing it to save the American economy – but nothing has done more to undermine our economy these past three years than the kind of tactics that create these manufactured crises."The economy has been growing? Yes, at a record low pace. Businesses have been creating jobs? Yes, at a record low pace. Our deficits have been cut in half? Then why did we have to raise the debt limit above a record $17 trillion? "Manufactured crises"? That's the weapon patented by the Obama administration. He was the one who manufactured these crises. His former chief of staff is the one who famously said, "Never let a good crisis go to waste."
- "Some of the same folks who pushed for the shutdown and threatened default claim their actions were needed to get America back on the right track, to make sure we're strong."Who are these folks who threatened default? Can someone in the Obama administration find one of his political adversaries who did so? Again, the only people threatening default were Obama and his friends.
- "But to all my friends in Congress, understand that how business is done in this town has to change. Because we've all got a lot of work to do on behalf of the American people – and that includes the hard work of regaining their trust. Our system of self-government doesn't function without it."Obama is even misrepresenting what "self-government" is – if, indeed, he actually knows. Self-government is not reliant on confidence in the federal government. In fact, it works best when people don't have confidence in government – and govern themselves. That's what self-government is, a term I'm not surprised Obama either misrepresents or has no understanding of what it actually means. Self-government is the way responsible and moral people behave – they govern themselves. Obama, on the other hand, believes people behave best when they are dependent on government for survival – the more the better.
- "And remember, the deficit is getting smaller, not bigger. It's going down faster than it has in the last 50 years."What is he talking about? This is just a lie out of hell. Under Obama in 2009, the deficit rose to a new high of $1.4 trillion. It stayed above the trillion-dollar mark for 2010 through 2012. But Obama wants to increase spending on Obamacare, which will increase the deficit by at least another $1 trillion a year. What is he talking about? No president in history has ever presided over these kinds of deficits.
Advertisement - story continues below
I fear for an America presided over by such a prolific liar – one who does it so effortlessly and so brazenly.
TRENDING: The Democrats' fantasies