WASHINGTON – A former U.S. Navy SEAL who publicly had expressed concern about terror attacks on the U.S. electrical grid believes he became the target of an al-Qaida attack – or a mercenary hired by al-Qaida – in the United States.
In an exclusive interview with WND, Christopher Mark Heben said initially he thought a shooting attack that apparently put a fragmented bullet in his stomach was an isolated case.
But after reflection, he thinks it might be part of a series of unprovoked attacks on SEALs.
Heben recently had been prominently featured on Fox News and other media outlets, issuing a warning of the prospect of terrorist attacks on the U.S. electrical grid system.
Then he was targeted himself, in an unprovoked shooting in an Ohio parking lot.
Heben, 44, of Medina County, Ohio, was shot once in the stomach outside the Mustard Seed Market & Cafe in the Bath Township. He said a car had backed into him, and the driver emerged and shot him with “something.” He could not confirm it was a gun since he never saw the weapon.
Heben said that he chased the car to get a license number but soon began to feel poorly. That’s when he determined that he had been shot in the stomach.
While Heben didn’t get a good look at the driver, he told WND that the passenger had a distinct tattoo.
He said a friend in the Transportation Security Administration of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security had told him following the attack that he saw someone with a similar tattoo boarding a one-way flight in Akron, Ohio, destined for Las Vegas.
Heben said the police have no leads and no weapon has been retrieved. In addition, paramedics couldn’t tell him what caliber of bullet hit him, since they claim it fragmented.
He was hospitalized at the time under an assumed name at Akron General Hospital.
While he recovered, he sent a Facebook message thanking well-wishers.
“I’m feeling a bit better today,” he wrote at the time. “Finally got that damn tube outta my nose. … It was the worst part so far. Well, that, and the fact that they catheterized me when I was still conscious. Ouch!”
He added that the support he had been receiving “definitely keeps me going!”
SEALs and former SEALs have known they could become targets ever since May 2011, when their Team 6 was killed al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden. Just a few days after the attack, Vice President Joseph Biden named publicly the team as being responsible for the raid.
Heben said the concern of al-Qaida targeting former SEALs in the U.S. is so real that another former SEAL friend, Marcus Luttrell, has former SEALs providing him security as he goes around the country talking about his Lone Survivor Foundation.
The foundation is named after the book Lutrell authored, “Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost heroes of SEAL Team 10.”
A film version of the book starring actor Mark Wahlberg came out in December 2013.
Heben has been carrying a high profile because he is outspoken about the vulnerability of the U.S. electrical grid system to a terrorist attack.
He said he could not rule out a link between the attack on him and a recent Fox News interview he gave on the terrorist threats to the U.S. electrical grid system.
In that interview with Judge Jeanine on the vulnerability of the U.S. power grid system, Heben said it is “amazingly easy to dismantle.”
He also discussed a July 2013 attack on some 17 large electrical transformers in the San Jose, Calif., area. The transformers were shot out using AK-47s, hitting precisely where oil in the transformers would leak, causing them to burn out.
Heben called it a terrorist attack, saying it was possibly practice for larger attacks on the electrical grid system across the country.
In the interview with Judge Jeanine, Heben said as a SEAL he practiced a takedown of grid systems similar to the one in San Jose to assess vulnerability.
It’s not the only attack on SEALs that has been linked by critics to Biden’s revelation. On Aug. 6, 2011, a Chinook military helicopter carrying dozens of members of the SEALs was shot out of the sky in Afghanistan.
The crash, which killed all 38 aboard the helicopter, is considered the worst loss of U.S. military life in a single incident in the Afghanistan campaign.
That shootdown now is being referenced in a number of lawsuits.