(FOX NEWS) Israel’s military says it has resumed airstrikes on the Gaza Strip after Hamas militants rejected and violated a proposed cease-fire that was approved by Israel's Security Cabinet.
Israeli officials said that the truce proposed by Egypt's Foreign Ministry had been accepted by the cabinet shortly after it was due to take effect Tuesday at 9 a.m. local time (2 a.m. Eastern Time). Less than half an hour later, a senior Hamas official told The Associated Press that the group had rejected the proposal, claiming that Cairo had not consulted them.
"We did not receive any official draft of this Egyptian proposal," Sami Abu Zuhri said, adding that the plan, as is, was "not acceptable."
Advertisement - story continues below