(Times of Israel) Israel and its key ally the United States were in open disagreement Friday night, after the Israeli cabinet unanimously rejected a ceasefire offer drawn up by Secretary of State John Kerry to halt 18 days of Israeli-Hamas conflict.
Kerry, speaking in Cairo, vowed to keep working on a ceasefire, and said Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was "committed" to working to narrow the gaps that were preventing a seven-day humanitarian ceasefire intended to lead to a longer-term deal. He also said Netanyahu had accepted an idea, proposed by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, of a 12-hour humanitarian time out. Israeli sources said the idea was under consideration.
But Israeli government sources told Army Radio the ceasefire terms proposed by Kerry were "completely unreasonable." An unnamed senior Israeli government official flatly disputed Kerry's assertion that his offer was "built on the Egyptian initiative" – which Israel accepted last week and Hamas rejected. In fact, the official was quoted saying, the Kerry offer is not built on the Egyptian proposal and tilts heavily toward Hamas.
Advertisement - story continues below