(WWBT-TV) A crematorium off Mechanicsville Turnpike caught fire Wednesday afternoon as an employee was cremating a 500 pound body. Neighbors could see the smoke billowing from the smokestack around noon. The fire marshal is ruling it an accident.
There have been incidents like this before at cremation companies all over the nation. But in 20 years of working here, the manager at Southside Cremation says it's never happened to them.
He says it happened as a result of the size of the body his workers were processing at the time.
Advertisement - story continues below