In my new book, “You Lie: The Evasions, Omissions, Fabrications, Frauds, and Outright Falsehoods of Barack Obama,” I set out to document Obama’s lies. So many are they I ended up writing a history of his presidency. Here are just 10 out of many.
10. “We’ve got shovel-ready projects all across the country.” Most of that shoveling was going on in the Oval Office, but, hey, Obama sold nearly a trillion dollars worth of pork on the back of this bad boy.
9. “I didn’t set a red line.” This double-talk about Obama’s plans in Syria had the Norwegians on the Nobel committee looking up the number of the local repo man.
8. “No more secrecy.” Edward Snowden would seem to have a different take on this.
7. “My father left my family when I was 2 years old.” Obama made this claim in September 2009 when addressing the nation’s school kids. By this date, the blogosphere knew that baby Obama had never spent a night under the same roof as his father, let alone two years, and that his mother surfaced in Seattle with the baby, but without the baby’s daddy, weeks after his birth.
6. “The Fast and Furious program was a field-initiated program begun under the previous administration.” Obama spun this fiction at a September 2012 Univision forum knowing it was false. Three months earlier, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney had made the same bogus claim virtually word for word at a press conference and got shot down on national TV.
5. “Not even a smidgeon of corruption.” Obama said this in response to Bill O’Reilly’s question early this year about the IRS scandal: “You’re saying no corruption?” The occasion was a live interview on Fox News right before Super Bowl 2014.
If there were not even a “smidgeon of corruption,” as Obama insisted, it is hard to understand what outraged him, or at least seemed to, when news of the IRS scandal first broke. “It’s inexcusable, and Americans are right to be angry about it, and I am angry about it,” Obama said in May 2013.
4. “We revealed to the American people exactly what we understood at the time.” Obama made this claim in response to O’Reilly’s inquiry about Benghazi. “The notion that we would hide the ball for political purposes when a week later we all said, in fact, there was a terrorist attack taking place and the day after I said it was an act of terror, that wouldn’t be a very good cover-up.”
In fact, it was exactly a week later, on Sept. 18, 2012, that Obama took his first questions about Benghazi on, of all places, the David Letterman show. “Here’s what happened,” said Obama, “You had a video that was released by somebody who lives here, sort of a shadowy character who – who made an extremely offensive video directed at – at Mohammed and Islam.”
The usually irreverent Letterman looked shocked. “Making fun of the Prophet Mohammed!” he said. Yes, confirmed a solemn Obama, “Making fun of the Prophet Mohammed.”
3. “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.” This is the compound lie that got Obama re-elected and sent us so far down the road to serfdom we may not be able to turn back.
2. “Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency.” Obama told this whopper to his assembled staff on his first day in office. Within a year, the two-headed promise had been violated more wantonly than a goat at a Taliban bachelor party.
As liberal constitutional scholar Jonathan Turley assessed the presidency, “Barack Obama is really the president Richard Nixon always wanted to be.” Ouch!
1.“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” Oh, man, Obama had his hand on the Bible for this one. May God have mercy on his soul.
Media wishing to interview Jack Cashill, please contact [email protected].