A 5-year-old boy is dead following a horrifying incident in Vietnam where he was swept more than 60 feet into the air by a giant kite, and then dropped to the ground.
The tragic accident was caught on video. (WARNING: Video contains graphic content)
According to published reports, little Van Minh Dat was helping his mother sell drinks at the Dong Dieu kite field in Ho Chi Minh City when his leg became entangled in the kite’s string.
He was then launched into the sky screaming before breaking loose from the string, tumbling back to the ground amid the shrieks of onlookers.
He died while being transported to a hospital.
His aunt, who witnessed the event, said the kite – which spans 49 feet – was flown by members of the Saigon Kite Club preparing for a festival.
“Everyone was looking at them because the kite had fallen to the ground a couple of times as the weather was a bit erratic, and one of the lines that snagged a table near the drinks stand knocked over some chairs as well,” she said.
“Dat had run over to pick up some of the fallen soft drink bottles and his leg got tangled in the kite string which just then took off when it was hit by strong winds.”
She says she and others tried to bring the kite back down, but the winds were too fierce.
When the string holding the boy broke, he reportedly tried grabbing another one but it was too late.
A city spokesman indicated officials had been keeping children away from the kites, but Dat was overlooked since he was working with his mother at the beverage stand.