(ABCNEWS.GO) — When an 8-year-old boy had two surprise allergic reactions in a week to foods that had never bothered him before, his doctors were baffled. Then they learned that the boy had undergone a blood platelet transfusion in the days before the reactions, and that the donor had severe food allergies, according to a case study published today.
"Right away, we wondered what has happening that was different," Dr. Julia Upton, the boy's allergist and the study author, told ABC News. "Why would he all the sudden react to a food that he clearly has eaten for years?"
Less than two weeks after undergoing transfusions of several blood products as part of his treatment for a brain tumor, the Canadian boy, who is not named in the study, ate salmon and had serious allergic reaction called anaphylaxis, though he'd eaten it before without problems, according to the study. His lips swelled, his face turned red, and he felt like something was stuck in his throat, Upton said. Emergency room doctors also noted that his blood pressure was low, she said.
Advertisement - story continues below