Police clash with protesters who took to streets in wake of Freddie Gray’s death.

The officer-in-charge in the arrest of Freddie Gray – the Baltimore man whose death after being taken into police custody has sparked nationwide protests – had a history of mental illness that led to hospitalization in 2012, sheriff’s office records show.

The Associated Press obtained the records, which also said Lt. Brian Rice, the officer who first ran after Gray on the streets and who was the highest-ranking cop on the scene, once suffered mental health issues for an unknown amount of time that reached the level of concern for local sheriff’s deputies to confiscate his guns. Rice was put under psychiatric care in a hospital in April 2012 after declaring he “could not continue to go on like this,” AP said.

“Police State USA: How Orwell’s Nightmare Is Becoming Our Reality” chronicles how America has arrived at the point of being a de facto police state, and what led to an out-of-control government that increasingly ignores the Constitution. Order today!

He also threatened to commit an act that was censored from public view in the report AP obtained from the Carroll County, Maryland, Sheriff’s Office. He reportedly made that threat after deputies were called by a fellow Baltimore police officer to go check on his welfare at his home.

Then, deputies said he seemed “normal and soft spoken,” and attributed his condition to simply seeking “sympathy and attention,” the report said. At the same time, “credible information” led the responding deputies to confiscate all Rice’s guns, call his commanding officer and take him to a local hospital for watch.

AP couldn’t determine from the documents how long Rice stayed at the hospital and whether he left under his own volition.

Rice was also given two administrative suspensions in 2012 and 2013, an unnamed source familiar with the police department told AP.

Get the hottest, most important news stories on the Internet – delivered FREE to your inbox as soon as they break! Take just 30 seconds and sign up for WND’s Email News Alerts!

The revelation comes as the Department of Justice and Baltimore police are seeking information into the death of Gray, 25, who reportedly ran after making eye contact in the street with Rice and was then taken into custody by several officers. After Gray was taken into the back of a police van, he was transported to the hospital for treatment of injuries and unresponsiveness and died a week later.

More information about his medical condition and the specifics of Gray’s death is due for release. Police in Baltimore and other cities around the country are on edge, as protesters have indicated they are not quitting their rallies until the truth is known and justice is served.

Related Stories

“Freddie Gray’s death ruled a homicide”

“Prosecutor resigns after ‘shoot protesters’ Facebook post”

“Michael Moore: Release black inmates, ‘disarm’ police”

“Arresting Freddie Gray cop had psychiatric problems”

“Rioters, again, turn violent without knowing why”

“Urban unrest coming to a town near you”

“‘Brutal’ black-on-white mob attack near Baltimore”


Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.