An estimated 12,000 Americans in as many as 65 U.S. cities took to the streets Tuesday to demand an end to federal funding of Planned Parenthood amid mounting evidence that the abortion group dismembered unborn babies and sold the babies’ internal organs and parts – including heads, hearts, livers, kidneys and limbs – to organizations and researchers across the country.
The “Women Betrayed” rallies, coordinated by Students for Life of America and Pro-Life Future, followed release of three undercover videos showing Planned Parenthood executives negotiating deals to collect and deliver the baby parts. The investigation was carried out by the Center for Medical Progress. In one video, a Planned Parenthood executive haggles over prices and says, “I want a Lamborghini.”
A rally at the U.S. Capitol featured the following speakers: Dr. Ben Carson; Sens. Rand Paul and James Lankford; Reps. Marsha Blackburn, Andy Harris, Tim Huelskamp and Chris Smith; Marilyn Musgrave of the Susan B. Anthony List; Penny Nance of Concerned Women for America; Jeanneane Maxon of Americans United for Life; and Arina Grossu of the Family Research Council.
Just as the third undercover video was being released, Sen. Cruz told the crowd the videos are “nothing short of horrifying,” and he demanded the Department of Justice investigate “whether Planned Parenthood nationally is a criminal enterprise breaking the law.”
“These are videos of senior Planned Parenthood officials laughing, swilling Chardonnay and casually, callously, heartlessly bartering and selling body parts of unborn children. I would encourage every American to watch these videos, regardless of your view of the right to life. Even if you are a supporter of abortion, I would encourage you to watch these videos and just ask a simple question: Are these my values?
“To see a senior Planned Parenthood official laughing and saying that she hopes she sells enough body parts of unborn children to buy a Lamborghini, there is no ambiguity in what we’re seeing. When we see the truth, after a time for truth comes a time for action. Today is a time for action,” Cruz said.
He continued, “When you have multiple individuals caught on tape apparently confessing to multiple felonies that carry with them long jail times, justice must be served. I call on the U.S. Department of Justice to enforce the criminal laws and investigate Planned Parenthood. I call upon state and local law enforcement to investigate the local affiliates of Planned Parenthood in terms of whether they have violated the criminal law. I call upon the United States Congress to hold hearings into whether Planned Parenthood is a criminal enterprise violating the federal criminal laws.
“I call upon our friends in the mainstream media to ask Hillary Clinton is she is pleased that she has so much passion and support from Planned Parenthood, an entity that appears to be a national criminal enterprise. I call on mainstream reporters to ask Hillary Clinton if she supports Planned Parenthood’s sale of body parts and direct violation of federal criminal law.”
WND has contacted Democrat presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s campaign about the issue but has received no response from Clinton or her campaign staffers.
Clinton and President Obama are among the top recipients of Planned Parenthood contributions, according to InfluenceExplorer.com.
WND asked Clinton’s campaign the following questions:
- Are you opposed to Planned Parenthood’s apparent harvesting of body parts of aborted babies and sale of them?
- As a top recipient of Planned Parenthood political contributions, does it concern you that these proceeds from dead babies might be helping to fund your presidential campaign?
- Will you continue to accept those political contributions even after these new revelations?
Watch a video of Sen. Ted Cruz’s speech at the Washington, D.C., “Women Betrayed” rally Tuesday:
In his speech, retired neurosurgeon Dr. Carson said, “I spent so many nights in the operating room, all night long, working, toiling so hard to save one of those lives. You know one of the most wonderful aspects of life is when later on, you can see that same little baby as a 25- or 30-year-old who has their own little baby. And yet there was somebody, at some point, saying it was just a clump of cells that didn’t mean anything. Well isn’t it funny that those same people who say it’s a meaningless clump of cells are trying to get livers and lungs and kidneys? How could you have such organs from a meaningless clump of cells?”
He continued, “Here’s the worst thing about all of that. I think that we have just gradually slid in terms of our morals to a point where we don’t really care about the killing of human beings. That is the bad news. The good news is, I think we are changing. And I think things like this are starting to change us a lot. There are actually more people in America now who identify themselves as pro-life than there are who are pro-death. You know, we are capable of changing.
“There was a time in this country where there were people who thought it was OK to own other people. They thought they could do anything they wanted with them because they belong to me. ‘I can beat them. I can kill them. I can do whatever I want to do to them.’ We, fortunately, as a society, matured and began to actually think about what the words of our Declaration of Independence and what the words of our Constitution actually meant. Well, those words are meaningful today, too, because they talk about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Well guess what? There can be no liberty and pursuit of happiness if there is no life.”
Watch a clip of Dr. Ben Carson’s speech:
Sen. Paul told the crowd the Senate will vote on a bill to defund Planned Parenthood before Congress’ August recesses, and he called on Hillary Clinton to return any money she’s received from Planned Parenthood.
“I have three kids, and my fondest memories are of looking at the ultrasound[s]. We still have pictures of our kids before they were born, moving around, fighting, moving their arms. They were already playing sports, it seemed. But we were so proud of seeing those pictures. Something special was coming. But we now find out that Planned Parenthood is using the ultrasounds to manipulate the baby into a position to harvest the organs. This callous disregard expressed over wine and cheese should inflame and infuriate us all. We should stop, once and for all, any penny of money going to Planned Parenthood.”
Watch a clip of Sen. Rand Paul’s speech:
Meanwhile, the Twitter hashtag #WomenBetrayed was trending Tuesday with comments from both pro-lifers and supporters of Planned Parenthood.
Pro-lifer comments included the following:
- “Today is one of the few times I’ve been proud of my generation.”
- “If you think that women can’t assume responsibility for their own bodies by providing birth control, you’re selling us short.”
- “@HillaryClinton This is how you stand up for #Women Betrayed”
- “It’s a cruelty for my tax money to go to an industry I believe savages babies & sells their parts. Where’s my choice? #Women Betrayed”
- “These butchers kill female babies! There is no way for them to say they are ‘pro women’! #Women Betrayed”
- “How is it that we have allowed the killing of a baby to be called a ‘choice’? A choice is deciding what color shoes to wear. #Women Betrayed”
- “Today’s #Women Betrayed rallies – across the country – are the most heartwarming & eye-watering events I’ve seen in quite a while. Thank you!”
Planned Parenthood supporters countered:
- “Crushing the ability for all women to receive basic healthcare #Women Betrayed”
- “Ben Carson using his experience as a pediatric surgeon as an excuse to support the attacks on PP and women is unacceptable. #Women Betrayed”
- #Women Betrayed more like betrayed when they’re forced to have children they can’t/don’t want to care for and are forced to alter their life.”
- “Pro lifers calling their new campaign #Women Betrayed is pretty ironic, since they are trying to strip women of their right to choose.”
- “The real #Women Betrayed are those who are denied health care and lied to by people who still can’t seem to grasp basic science #StandWithPP”
The “Women Betrayed” rallies were scheduled to take place in the following cities:
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Baton Rouge, La.
Buffalo, New York
Charleston, South Carolina
Concord, New Hampshire
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Des Moines, Iowa
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Fort Myers, Florida
Kansas City, Kansas
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Las Vegas, Nevada
Los Angeles, California
Rochester, New York
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Antonio, Texas
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Schenectady, New York
Sioux City, Iowa
South Bend, Indiana
St. Louis, Missouri
St. Paul, Minnesota
Syracuse, New York
Trenton, New Jersey
West Palm Beach, Florida