FREETOWN, Sierra Leone (AP) — Sierra Leone is in a stronger place than it was six months ago to fight Ebola, but the new challenge is to get to zero cases, the director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday during a visit, as new cases emerged in the city and in an area that had not seen the deadly virus for months.
Two new cases of Ebola surfaced in Sierra Leone's Northern Tonkolili District after a man died last week. The district had not had a single case of Ebola in five months. The victim contracted the disease in the capital, traveled to his home village, and was treated for a fever at the local hospital but authorities didn't call the Ebola emergency number. He didn't have a burial that followed special procedures required for Ebola victims.
The man's mother and brother contracted Ebola, the National Ebola Response Centre's OB Sisay said Sunday. Authorities moved quickly to contain the spread, but more cases are feared, he said. Authorities quarantined 500 people.
Advertisement - story continues below