(Complex) As college students make the switch from cigarettes to marijuana to get their fix and today's teens find even craftier ways to smoke the mostly-illegal substance, they might wanna rethink the device they are using. FOX 5 News reports that James Lauria is recovering from serious injuries after his eCigarette exploded in his mouth. He was on a break at work when his electronic smoking device unexpectedly ignited, leaving him with first-degree burns and a dime-sized hole in the roof of his mouth.
The 23-year-old was airlifted to the University of Alabama's burn unit and he spent a week in the ICU. His worried parents were said to be in disbelief at the injuries sustained in the accident. "He had burns to his hand and a fractured neck and finger, and burns to his cornea," his father, Ed Lauria, told the news station. "It blew a hole through his pallet and at the same time, flames went down and he got first-degree burns on his chest and up on his face. It forced his front tooth up into his gum- out of sight -and chipped the other one and damaged a few other lower teeth."