A massive manhunt is underway for three armed males in connection with a cop killing just north of Chicago Tuesday morning.
"They're throwing out all the stops. The canine units, they've got people on the ground. ... Think less of the city of Chicago and more the Wisconsin border. It's not a particularly urban area. More suburban. A lot of woods. A lot of places these suspects can hide," Mike Tobin reported for Fox News from Chicago. "[The officer's] weapon and possibly his pepper spray are missing."
Advertisement - story continues below
SWAT teams, K-9 units and helicopters are being used to hunt for two white males and one black man in connection with the Fox Lake killing of officer Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, 52 . The 30-year veteran cop, nicknamed "G.I. Joe," was pursuing the suspects on foot at the time he was shot and killed.
Lake County Sheriff’s Detective Chris Covelli told reporters authorities lost radio contact with Gliniewicz around 7:50 a.m., Fox News reported.
"He's got four sons who are going to have to go on alone," said Terry Resetar, Gliniewicz's mother-in-law, The Chicago Tribune reported.
"We asked residents to report any suspicious activity they happen to see, whether they think it's something minor or major and to keep an eye out for these three individuals," the detective said, CNN reported. Schools in the area were placed on lock-down.
Advertisement - story continues below
The fatal Illinois shooting takes place only days after Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Darren Goforth, 47, was killed execution-style Saturday at a Texas gas station. Houston resident Shannon J. Miles, 30, was arrested in connection with the crime and is currently being held without bond.
The Officer Down Memorial Page, a nonprofit organization dedicated to honoring America's fallen law enforcement personnel, compiled the following list of officers killed by gunfire in 2015:
- Reserve Deputy Sonny Smith, Johnson County Sheriff's Office, Arkansas
- Sergeant Scott Lunger, Hayward Police Department, California
- Police Officer Michael Johnson, San Jose Police Department, California
- Detective Terence Avery Green, Fulton County Police Department, Georgia
- Sergeant Greg Moore, Coeur d'Alene Police Department, Idaho
- Lieutenant Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, Fox Lake Police Department, Illinois
- Police Officer Henry Nelson, Sunset Police Department, Louisiana
- Senior Trooper Steven Vincent, Louisiana State Police, Louisiana
- Police Officer Daryle Holloway, New Orleans Police Department, Louisiana
- Patrolman James Bennett, Jr., Housing Authority of New Orleans Police Department, Louisiana
- Police Officer Thomas LaValley, Shreveport Police Department, Louisiana
- Police Officer Benjamin Deen, Hattiesburg Police Department, Mississippi
- Police Officer Liquori Tate, Hattiesburg Police Department, Mississippi
- Detective Kerrie Orozco, Omaha Police Department, Nebraska
- Officer Gregg "Nigel" Benner, Rio Rancho Police Department, New Mexico
- Deputy Sheriff Carl Howell, Carson City Sheriff's Office, Nevada
- Detective Brian Moore, New York City Police Department, New York
- Police Officer Sonny Kim, Cincinnati Police Department, Ohio
- K9 Falko, Toledo Police Department, Ohio
- Police Officer Robert Wilson, III, Philadelphia Police Department, Pennsylvania
- Police Officer Sean Michael Bolton, Memphis Police Department, Tennessee
- Police Officer Alex Yazzie, Navajo Division of Public Safety, Arizona
- Deputy Sheriff Darren H. Goforth, Harris County Sheriff's Office, Texas
- Deputy U.S. Marshal Josie Wells, United States Department of Justice - United States Marshals Service, US
- Trooper Trevor Casper, Wisconsin State Patrol, Wisconsin
The New York Police Department was also was forced to bury officers Rafael Ramos, 40, and Wen Jian Liu, 32, last December when they were ambushed in their patrol car. Gunman Ismaaiyl Brinsley committed suicide afterward.
More to come...