(CNN) — Six-year-old Nhaijah Russell swallowed three or four squirts of seemingly innocuous liquid hand sanitizer at school. It tasted good, she said, like strawberry.
It also contained enough alcohol to make her dangerously drunk. She arrived at the emergency room slurring her words and unable to walk.
Is hand sanitizer toxic?
Advertisement - story continues below
Since 2010, poison control center hotlines across the United States have seen a nearly 400% increase in calls related to children younger than 12 ingesting hand sanitizer, according to new analysis by the Georgia Poison Center.