(New York Post) A worker at a Canadian pharmacy accidentally gave out out bipolar medication to trick-or-treaters instead of candy, according to a report.
The mix-up unfolded after a woman unknowingly dropped her 17-year-old son’s prescription drugs while on her way out of a Beauport pharmacy.
Another customer picked up the medication – Quetiapine and Divalproex sodium, both of which are used to treat schizophrenia as well as other psychological disorders – and placed it dangerously close to the candy basket on the counter.
“So – unfortunately – we don’t know how – an employee just mixed it with the candy by accident and distributed it to the kids,” a Quebec City police spokesperson told the Daily Star.
Seven individually wrapped pills were dropped into candy baskets throughout the night.
Police assured parents that the medications were not dangerous — despite side effects that include suicidal thoughts, tremors and nausea.