(NEWS.YAHOO) — A mother is speaking out this week to warn others after her daughter’s devastating death due to toxic shock syndrome (TSS).
Diane Roberts’s 13-year-old-daughter, Jemma-Louise, began feeling ill while on a family vacation and was originally diagnosed with a stomach bug, according to the Manchester Evening News. After the British teenager’s health continued to deteriorate, her family brought her to a hospital where she was diagnosed with TSS, caused by bacteria related to tampon use. Jemma-Louise, a competitive swimmer, had reportedly begun using tampons not long before her illness because they allowed her to continue training throughout her menstrual cycle. A week after her diagnosis, in March 2014, Jemma-Louise died of a brain bleed while on a heart and lung machine, according to the paper. Blood tests before she died showed evidence of the staphylococcus bacteria, linked to TSS and sepsis.
Now Roberts is sharing her daughter’s story to raise awareness about an illness that she says doesn’t get enough attention. “TSS used to be talked about in the ’80s, but you never hear it now,” she told the Manchester Evening News. “My husband had never heard of TSS — if one dad reads this and his daughter falls ill, it could save her life.” Roberts and her family have been raising awareness through fundraisers for Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, where Jemma-Louise was treated.
Advertisement - story continues below