(Minneapolis Star-Tribune) A federal judge Thursday awarded $130,000 each to three Rochester women who successfully sued a Saudi prince who said he didn't want any female limousine drivers chauffeuring him and his entourage on a visit to the Mayo Clinic for medical treatment in 2010.
U.S. District Judge Joan Ericksen ruled in November that Prince Abdul-Rahman bin Abdul-Aziz sexually discriminated against Gretchen Cooper, Barbara Herold and Lisa Boutelle when the women were fired from what promised to be lucrative work.
The three were among 40 drivers hired to escort the prince and his entourage in October 2010 and were told to be available on-call, 24 hours a day for at least a month. Cooper previously drove for a Saudi princess and earned $50 a day in tips alone, according to the 2012 complaint. But each of the women lost the assignment on their second day after the prince told the U.S.-based companies that hired them that he didn't want women as drivers.
Advertisement - story continues below