(Seattle Times) A 16-year-old Central Washington boy is recovering from years of exposure to toxic levels of lead from an unlikely source: two sheepskin rugs he'd slept with since kindergarten.
Jake Wood, of Benton City, has posted blood-lead levels at least 12 times higher than the federal level for action, a condition that likely caused irreversible learning disabilities, speech problems and medical issues.
"He was poisoned for so long," said Brandilyn Wood, 45, Jake's mother. "He'll never get that back."
Advertisement - story continues below
Jake's case is coming to light now amid renewed concerns about lead in local drinking water and the continuing crisis in Flint, Mich. Brandilyn Wood said she decided to share her family's experience to emphasize the need for lead testing and for prompt investigation and action when levels are high.