(USA Today) A Toronto man is dead after a cat bit him on the right thumb—but the cause is so rare that doctors wrote up a case study in the World Journal of Clinical Cases warning other physicians to be on the lookout for the unusual cascade of events.
Animal bites are common, and the reason for some 330,000 annual US ER visits, with those attending doctors "acutely aware of the skin and soft tissue infections that can arise from mammalian bites," the researchers write. A course of antibiotics tends to do the job, preventing a bacterial infection or at least stopping its spread.
But in this case, the bacteria Pasteurella multocida, which lives in many pets' mouths, caused a 4-inch-wide aneurysm in the abdominal section of the man's aorta (the large vessel descending from the heart to the abdomen) that ultimately ruptured.
Advertisement - story continues below