Being Jewish in France continues to get more dangerous by the day.
The rising number of attacks on Jews and synagogues in recent years has been well documented, but it has nothing to do with terrorism and certainly not Islamic terrorism, French authorities say.
Advertisement - story continues below
The latest attack came in Strasbourg, France, where an Orthodox Jewish rabbi was attacked in broad daylight Friday and left hospitalized by a knife-wielding Muslim yelling "Allahu Akbar!"
The incident was immediately scrubbed by French police as "not terrorism related" in what has become a pattern across Europe, Canada and the United States.
TRENDING: Was your flight delayed? Blame the feds!
Instead of calling it terrorism, the authorities initially refer to the assailant as mentally ill or "suffering from psychiatric issues," as the Daily Mirror reported on the latest incident, which took place just outside the rabbi's home about 500 yards from the main synagogue in the city's Jewish quarter.
Advertisement - story continues below
As recently as Aug. 11, a woman ran over two police officers in Montreal with her car while yelling "Allah!" and she was also deemed mentally ill by Canadian authorities, CIJ News reported.
In fact more than 25 jihadist attacks over the past couple of years have been attributed at one point or another to mental illness, as WND reported earlier this month. Among them have been the Chattanooga, Orlando, Fort Hood, Tulsa and San Bernardino attacks on U.S. soil.
The attacker in Strasburg was restrained by a witness before being arrested by police following the attack in the middle of the street, according to the Daily Mirror.
As reported by French news site DNA, several witnesses heard the man shout "Allahu Akbar" while carrying out the assault about 11.45 a.m.
The 62-year-old Hasidic rabbi was reported to be in stable condition and is expected to make a full recovery.
Advertisement - story continues below
Sources close to the investigation say terrorism has "already been ruled out, with the attacker thought to have mental health problems," the Mirror reported.
The victim -- identified as Mr Levy -- was wearing religious garments when he was attacked.
"He was walking home from the market after buying some things for the Sabbath and when he was by his house, someone came up to him and screamed ‘Allahu Akhbar’ and stabbed him," Samama, who is also a rabbi in Strasbourg, told RT.com.
Samama also added that Levy was very lucky as the stab wound was close to his heart.
Advertisement - story continues below
"He is very shocked and when he was telling me the story for the first time, he was crying," Samama told RT. "He feels that he has had a miracle because when the guy stabbed him the first time, he wanted to stab him again, but he had an amazing reaction and was able to run away."
Witnesses say that the attacker was between 30 and 40 years old. According to the Journal du Dimanche publication, the attacker had a history of psychiatric problems.
"In 2010, he attacked another Jew in the city center of Strasbourg and he has psychological problems… How is it possible that someone like this can be on the streets as he can attack anybody," Samama said.
Is it Islam or is it insanity?
The defining element of insanity, for legal purposes, has long been that the perpetrator is not aware that his actions were wrong. That would account for almost all Islamic terrorists, who believe their violent outbursts are part of the Quran's instructions for them to wage jihad against non-Muslims and therefore they are morally justified.
Clearly, if a Muslim attacks a Jew in France he is automatically seen as mentally ill.
"Here we go again: another outbreak of mental illness has occurred in France," wrote Robert Spencer in his blog JihadWatch.org.
"According to the Journal du Dimanche publication, the attacker had a history of psychiatric problems….According to Strasbourg’s chief rabbi, Rene Gutman, the attacker had carried out a similar assault six years ago on a Jew in the city. He was arrested on that occasion and placed in a psychiatric hospital, the France Bleu publication reports."
"And clearly the psychiatric treatment didn’t cure him of the will to wage jihad," Spencer wrote. "But don’t be concerned: 'The reference to Islam is worrying, but it does not reflect the current climate that exists between the Jewish and Muslim communities in Strasbourg,’ Gutman said."
"Oh, good," Spencer concluded. "Then we can all go back to sleep."
Below is a list of all the jihad attacks that have been racked up to mental illness at one point or another by Western authorities.
List of terror attacks blamed on mental illness:
- France: Muslim destroys Christmas decorations, screams “Allahu akbar”: “His mental state, quickly found wanting, required his placement in the specialized hospital Allonnes.”
- France: Muslim driver ramming pedestrians while screaming "Allahu akbar!" was "absolutely not an act of terrorism": "This is absolutely not an act of terrorism,’ Prosecutor Marie-Christine Tarrare told reporters during a press conference, adding that the man had a ‘long-lasting and severe psychological disorder’ and had been hospitalized over 150 times since 2002.”
- UK: Imam accused of recruiting for jihad group doesn’t have to wear electronic tag — it breaches his human rights: “A terror suspect last night won a human rights case to have his tag removed – because he thinks MI5 has put a bomb inside it. A judge said the dangerous preacher of hate has mental health problems, and wearing the electronic monitoring device was making him 'delusional.'"
- California: Muslim arrested in mosque vandalism: "His older sister describes Khan as having schizophrenia."
- Muslim NYPD cop killer told passers-by to watch: "The gunman who fatally ambushed two New York City police officers in their squad car had a long criminal record, a hatred for police and the government and an apparent history of mental instability that included an attempt to hang himself a year ago, police said Sunday.”
- France: Muslim who stabbed rabbi gets four years: "Haddouche was deemed unfit to stand trial because of mental issues following a psychiatric evaluation…"
- Toronto Muslim charged with carrying concealed meat cleaver into Parliament: "RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson told reporters that Ali is known to authorities, but 'not in the sort of counter-terrorism context.' In fact, Paulson does not believe that the man’s actions were politically motivated or an act of terror. 'I understand it is less a concern around so-called national security considerations as it is a mental health issue,’ he said. 'There is a history of behaviors that are odd.'"
- Austria: Muslim drives car into crowd, killing 3, then gets out and stabs passersby: "Police are not currently investigating terrorism as a motive and the man is believed to be suffering from mental illness."
- Canada: Police shoot Muslim wearing apparent suicide vest and holding triggering device: "In the aftermath of the shooting, police downplayed the incident saying only that the call involved 'an emotionally disturbed person.'"
- Muslim bangs on cockpit door, threatens to down plane, “wanted to see Allah”: “After being held back from the cabin door, which could not have been opened anyway, the man, who fellow passengers said appeared to have mental health issues, was then guarded by staff and the sports stars in business class.”
- Muslim woman who said Allah told her to behead toddler recently became religious, started wearing hijab: "One theory is that the woman is mentally ill and that she may have been exploited by a man or men she knew."
Canada: Ottawa shooter’s father waged jihad in Libya in 2011; shooter not a recent convert but a longtime Muslim: "Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, the slain 32-year-old suspected killer of a Canadian Forces soldier near Parliament Hill, was a laborer and small-time criminal – a man who had had a religious awakening and seemed to have become mentally unstable."
- Canada: Muslim acting "in the name of Allah" runs down two soldiers, flips car after chase, charges officers with long knife, is shot: "'We are at the beginning of an investigation. Several hypotheses are being looked at,' said Sgt. Michel Brunet, adding that investigators would study various angles, including mental illness and terrorism."
- Philly cop shooter: "I follow Allah. I pledge my allegiance to the Islamic State. That is why I did what I did.": “Archer’s mother has indicated that he is mentally ill and Ross said investigators do not know yet if the suspect was indeed radicalized or tied to terrorism."
- Oklahoma: School evacuated after "Middle Eastern" woman says she came there to "take the kids to heaven": "During the news conference, police also said that the woman had been having mental health concerns recently."
Chattanooga jihad murderer viewed Awlaki material online, spoke of Islamic martyrdom as long ago as 2013: “As the F.B.I. sent more investigators into this city Monday to explore dozens of possible leads, a picture took shape of a deeply troubled young man who struggled with mental illness and drug abuse at the same time he found himself alienated from United States policies in the Arab world, according to the authorities, friends and the family representative.”
- Colorado Muslim stabs cop, drops Qur’an during struggle and is heard making "Islamic statements" during attack: “At about 2 p.m. Saturday, the suspect’s family told law enforcement that they were worried because Clark left his residence in Penrose and said he wasn’t going to return. They also said Clark was mentally disturbed, had been working out a great deal during the last two months and recently had broken up with his girlfriend.”
- NYC police commissioner: Hatchet attack by convert to Islam was terror: "Authorities also are trying to determine if Thompson had any history of mental illness."
- UK Muslim who admitted sharing jihad videos rants about “enemy of Islam court": "Ahmed, who has a history of mental health problems, pleaded guilty to two counts of dissemination of a terrorist publication."
- France: Muslim screaming "Allahu akbar!" tries to strangle police officer: "Other police officers saw the events on the video surveillance system and rushed to save their colleague, who had been thrown to the ground. His assailant was said to have a history of psychiatric problems."
- Spain: Violent Muslim screaming "Allahu Akbar, all you Christians will die!" gets arrested: "Later, he was administered comprehensive tests to ascertain if he was under the influence of drugs or suffered from a mental illness."
- UK Muslim gets 20 years for trying to set up jihad training camp in Oregon: "Haroon Aswat, who has been treated for mental illness in the UK, had pleaded guilty to the charges in March after being extradited from Britain to the US last year."
- France: Knife-wielding Muslim teen screams "Allahu akbar!" as he shoots teacher with BB gun: "A psychiatric examination was scheduled for 13 October, with the teenager is likely to be brought before a judge."
- Colorado Muslim woman pleads guilty to conspiring to aid Islamic State: "Moore set sentencing for Jan. 23, saying he wanted time for Conley to undergo more complete psychiatric testing. 'I desire more information’ on her mental state,' he said, asking for both a psychological and personality evaluation."