(SMH) An American man took on one of the world's hottest chillis, the notorious "ghost pepper", in a recent eating competition but the outcome was far from a win.
After eating a hamburger laced with ghost pepper puree, the man began vomiting and retching violently. Suffering from severe abdominal pain he was admitted to hospital where doctors discovered a 2.5-centimetre hole in his oesophagus.
The chili eater underwent emergency surgery and spent 23 days in hospital.
Advertisement - story continues below