Shootings erupted overnight in downtown Minneapolis, leaving six injured, according to police reports early Monday.
Spokeswoman Sgt. Catherine Michal said in a report in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that investigators believe they were gang-related.
The shootings started about 1:15 a.m. not far from the city’s First Precinct police headquarters where officers found a man who had been shot in the hand and leg.
He was hospitalized.
A second victim shot in the leg arrived at the Hennepin County Medical Center on his own, police said.
But neither one would cooperate with police.
Minutes later, “a second shooting was reported on 4th Street between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Mall,” Michael told the paper.
“Officers on foot and on bike found four victims with gunshot wounds. Three men and a juvenile were taken by ambulance to NCMC,” the report said.
The most seriously wounded victim was a man who was hit in the chest. Hewas in stable condition.
“Investigators believe that both shootings are gang-related,” Michal told the newspaper. “Officers continue to look at footage from cameras in the area to try to determine who else is involved. They will also be canvassing in the area in the coming days talking with business owners.”
CNN reported that no suspects were identified in the first shooting, and while a suspect was in custody for the second, all six victims have remained uncooperative. There were no details available on the single suspect in custody.
The Tribune reported some months ago that downtown Minneapolis gang violence incidents are up sharply for 2016 – by 85 percent.
Between January and April, 74 people had been shot in the city, mainly in five neighborhoods.
While the toll is far short of the hundreds of people murdered each year in Chicago, a troubling development has been the focus of WND reports.
A mob of up to 30 young Somali men paraded through one of Minneapolis’ more upscale neighborhoods recently, yelling disparaging comments and threats against homeowners.
A female resident of the Linden Hills neighborhood, on Lake Calhoun, obviously shaken in a TV interview, said she was screamed at by a Somali man who threatened to kidnap and rape her.
“They were screaming at the house that they were going to kidnap you and they were going to rape you,” one Minneapolis resident told KSTP TV. “It was a very traumatizing experience.”
Somalis living in Minneapolis are almost all Sunni Muslims, and residents of the Lake Calhoun area say it isn’t the first time a group of Somali men has made an intimidating march through their neighborhood, which is filled with million-dollar homes.
No hate-crime charges are apparently being considered by either the Minnesota authorities or the Obama Justice Department headed by Loretta Lynch.
Police were called to the scene on June 28 about 9:30 a.m. and were investigating the incident as a potential case of terroristic threats. No arrests have been made to date, and the Minneapolis media appear to be largely uninterested in reporting on the mob threats.
According to a Minneapolis police report, between 20 and 30 young Somali men showed up in front of a woman’s house about 9:30 in the morning and started shouting insults. “The comments turned to threats,” the report said.
Watch local TV report of horrific threats made by a mob of young Somali men in Minneapolis: