Is she or isn't she?
That's the question about Michelle Obama's intentions regarding a possible run for president in 2020. While she has consistently denied any interest in running, how plausible does that really sound? If the Democratic Party needed her and pleaded with her to run, does anyone really doubt she would?
Advertisement - story continues below
Here, then, are 12 reasons she will.
TRENDING: Family Night in America
- She outpolls all other Democrats:According to a Zogby poll last month, she leads the pack of potential Democratic candidates, despite her insistence that she would "never run." The only others even close are Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders – two very old white men. That's simply not going to work for the Democratic Party. In other words, Democratic primary voters want Michelle. She's their dream candidate for 2020. She excites the Democratic Party base.
- She wouldn't be the first to deny her real intention:TWICE Hillary Clinton ruled out running for president and then did exactly that – in 2008 and again in 2012. It was the smart thing to do then, and it's the smart thing to do now.
- There's simply no one else:Look at the potential candidate for the Democrats! Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren – are you kidding? It's almost a joke. You don't think Barack and Michelle Obama realize that? Hillary Clinton doesn't even register on the polls.
- It's smart to play hard to get – and that's what she's doing:It's way too early for any serious candidate to throw his or her hat into the ring. Any candidate who does so now is not a serious candidate.
- Even on an unauthorized fake Facebook page she's got nearly 500,000 supporters:Impressive, no? She's also the darling of Twitter.
- She detests Trump and needs to restore the Obama legacy he "stole":If she really perceived she could win, why wouldn't she run? Her children will be grown. She will be bored in another year out of the limelight.
- No matter what she says, she adores the spotlight:Look at all the hype she gets. Look at all the interviews she gives. Look at all the stories urging her to run. Not thinking about it is not even believable.
- Despite what she says, she loves politics and government:She's never going back to law. She won't be content on the sidelines for long.
- She's not shy about upstaging her husband:Remember all the banter between Barack and Michelle during their years in the White House? She would upstage him as frequently as Cher upstaged Sonny.
- She really believes she's a role model:How many articles have you seen about what a great role model she is for young women – especially young women "of color"? She believes her own press clippings. The media adore her almost as much as she adores herself, but not quite.
- She has a proven political team – her husband's:One thing you can say about Barack Obama is that he ran two great campaigns. He didn't do it alone. He did it with clever operatives, plenty of grass-roots support, great press and terrific social media. That team can be reassembled. In fact they are waiting in the wings for marching orders. It really might be the best the Democrats could do.
- She wants to be virtually drafted:Remember the Obama strategy of leading from behind? That's exactly what Michelle Obama is positioning herself to do in politics. It might just happen. It would solve many real problems for the Democratic Party, which is shambles right now.