WASHINGTON – In the wake of photographic proof that Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., has brazenly harassed women for decades, one of Franken’s targets joined former President Bill Clinton’s accusers Wednesday to demand justice.
Melanie Morgan, a Los Angeles radio news anchor, has alleged that she was harassed with phone calls by Franken in 2000, following a contentious debate on Bill Maher’s ABC late-night show “Politically Incorrect.”
WND’s cameras were there when Morgan stormed into Franken’s Capitol Hill office Wednesday demanding he resign.
She was joined by Bill Clinton’s alleged targets – Kathleen Willey, Juanita Broaddrick and Leslie Millwee, who claims she was stalked and assaulted three times by Clinton while she was a TV reporter in Fort Smith, Arkansas. The women were accompanied by the founders of the new media publication Media Equalizer.
Watch Melanie Morgan and Bill Clinton’s accusers demand Franken’s resignation at his office on Capitol Hill:
Franken’s secretary demanded WND stop recording when the protesters arrived, and insisted Franken was unavailable, but the women steadfastly aired their grievances and demanded the resignations of both Franken and Democrat Rep. John Conyers, who is accused of sexual harassment while in office.
“The senator says he can’t speak to us right now, or he’s not available. But we are waiting to see if there is a communications team that will respond to our outrage.
“Does he remember me? I’m the one that was harassed by him 17 years ago on ‘Politically Incorrect’ with Bill Maher. He has never even referred to me let alone apologized to me, let alone any of these other women.”
Franken’s staff immediately called security on the women.
Seemingly aggravated by Franken’s claims of not recalling his harassment instances, Morgan explained that she and the women who allege they were assaulted by Bill Clinton were there to “refresh his memory.”
“He says he has a funny recall of what happened – if somebody was offended, he was sorry. I think he was sorry he was caught. I’m sorry he doesn’t seem to remember some very vital details of his own personal history,” she said. “But we are going to refresh his memory and with us are some other women that have had some very unpleasant experience with some very powerful political men and I think it’s time for [Franken] to think about things.”
“It’s time,” Broadderick interjected.
“Absolutely,” Willey concurred.
Franken’s communications directors eventually came out of their offices to explain that Franken was not available to comment.
Is sex abuse tied to power? by Joseph Farah
Why I believe Judge Roy Moore by Jane Chastain
How Matt Lauer helped save Bill Clinton by Jack Cashill
How not to respond to the fall of Matt Lauer by Michael Brown
Sex in America, Part 2 by Ann Coulter
Franken disappeared for days after the news broke that he was being accused of groping and demeaning women.
Then he emerged Sunday, explaining that he has not considered resigning amid the slew of sexual-harassment allegations, but would cooperate with a Senate investigation into his conduct.
“I’ve let a lot of people down and I’m hoping I can make it up to them and gradually regain their trust,” said Franken, breaking an eight-day silence in a phone call with Minnesota Public Radio.
“The Ethics Committee is looking into all of this, and I will cooperate fully with it,” said Franken, who was elected to the Senate in 2008. “I know I have a lot of work to do to regain the trust of people I’ve let down.”
Earlier this month, KABC on-air personality Leeann Tweeden accused Franken of kissing and groping her without her consent while she was asleep during a USO tour.
Franken insists he doesn’t recall the encounter.
But Tweeden substantiated her claims with a photo that shows Franken with his hands over her breasts while he smiles for the camera.
And another woman came forward Thursday, to also accuse Franken of groping her during a USO tour — this time, an Army veteran who reportedly claims he cupped her breast while taking a photo in Kuwait in 2003.
Stephanie Kemplin, 41, of Maineville, Ohio, is the fifth woman to accuse the senator of inappropriate behavior, CNN reported. Three women have now come forward publicly and two others have remained anonymous.
The one-time comedian and liberal radio talk host has expressed regret over his alleged abuse of women.
“I’m embarrassed and ashamed. I’ve let a lot of people down and I‘m hoping I can make it up to them and gradually regain their trust,” Franken told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
But a mere apology tour did not suffice for Morgan, who spearheaded the visit to Franken’s office on Wednesday.
“We would be happy to take the message and pass it along. He has a busy day and always does – he’s just not available,” one of the spokesman said.
Congress’ Office of Compliance revealed last week that American taxpayers have shelled out more than $17 million on workplace settlements and awards over the last 20 years. Some have called the money a congressional slush fund for sexual harassment payouts.
Morgan then questioned whether Frankin’s name is on the slush fund.
“Sen. Franken, come on out,” Morgan shouted. “Come on out and talk to us. Don’t be a coward. Speak to us. We have something to say to you. I think you should have something to say to us. The United States taxpayers, we are signing his paychecks. He is accountable to us. He is in the People’s House and is our representative. He is not above the law or beyond the law.
“Is Al Franken’s name on that slush fund? Did he pay off anybody else? If so, how much money did he pay out? Who are the names of the people who have made these accusations against him? These are all questions that we would like to ask Sen. Franken,” Morgan told the staff members.