Executives at the “CBS Evening News” are reportedly in panic over the ratings plunge from their main anchor Jeff Glor, prompting some in the media to ask if Glor is headed out the door.
Page Six of the New York Post is reporting network officials “are already thinking about replacing him.”
“Sources say that after Glor lost nearly 1.5 million viewers since his debut in December 2017, top brass told Glor and his producers that they need to turn things around quickly,” the paper reported.
CBS News president David Rhodes is said to have called a meeting Tuesday night to discuss the matter.
“He unleashed on the team,” an insider told Page Six. “He said how disappointed and frustrated he is with how things have gone.”
Glor got the job previously held by famous names including Walter Cronkite, Dan Rather and Katie Couric after Scott Pelley’s exit.
Page Six noted: “With Pelley out, numbers spiked during Glor’s first week anchoring ‘CBS Evening News,’ jumping from an average of 6.4 million viewers to an impressive 7.1 million. But the ratings have dropped alarmingly since. Numbers for the week of May 21 reveal the show drew 5.7 million viewers, down 9 percent from the same week in 2017, according to TVNewser.”
The program now has a new executive producer, Mosheh Oinounou, who replaced veteran Steve Capus in January.
A CBS News executive told Page Six, “We’re building a new team and going in a new direction, and that may not sit well with everyone.”
Meanwhile, a CBS News spokesperson said: “CBS News couldn’t be more excited about the direction that Jeff and Mosheh are taking the ‘Evening News.’ The meeting as described never happened. What did happen was a discussion centered on editorial and production, not ratings, which is not unusual.”