(MILITARY.COM) – Defense Secretary Jim Mattis made it official Friday: the annual big military exercises with the South Koreans won't be happening as long as North Korea bargains in good faith on denuclearization.
President Donald Trump said after the Singapore summit last week with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un that the exercises – he called them "war games" – would be suspended, although no mention of the exercises was included in the joint declaration after the summit.
In a late Friday statement, Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said that Mattis "has indefinitely suspended select exercises" to include the Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise that had been scheduled to begin in late August. Last year's Freedom Guardian exercise involved about 50,000 South Korean and 17,500 U.S. troops.
Advertisement - story continues below