Saudi Arabia will admit in a statement that Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and Saudi citizen who disappeared while at the nation's consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, earlier this month, died in an "interrogation gone wrong, according to CNN.
Khashoggi, a prominent critic of the ruling class in Saudi Arabia, vanished Oct. 2 after he walked into the consulate in Istanbul. Turkish officials claim they have proof the Saudis were responsible for his murder. President Trump said he talked with the Saudi king, who denied knowledge of the incident.
Advertisement - story continues below
Two sources who spoke to CNN, however, said the Saudis are preparing a report admitting that they intended to abduct and bring Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia, but that he was inadvertently killed in the process. CNN said the report is intended "to absolve the Saudi government of responsibility for the murder by claiming the operation was not cleared."
Saudi officials, CNN reported, said the government had not authorized the attack on Khashoggi, vowing those "involved will be held responsible."
The Washington Times reported Trump said the king suggested "rogue killers" could have been responsible.
The president has sent Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Saudi Arabia to investigate the disappearance.