“Be sober and watchful, because your adversary the devil walks around as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour” (1Peter 5:8-9).
I lived in the D.C. area for 24 years, worked directly across from the White House and taught the Bible weekly to 2,000 young people 10 minutes away. Positioned in the heart of the capital, we prayed for the government each meeting (1 Timothy 2:1-4), convinced of our call to “stand against the schemes of the devil. For our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, and against spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:11-12). On our watch we witnessed the exposure and removal of a president and vice president for the first time in U.S. history.
The time has come to acknowledge spiritual realities: The devil is using the Democratic Party to try to destroy America. If we don’t awaken, our children will soon awaken in a nation unrecognizable to us today.
Thanking the devil
Actor Christian Bale, a Democratic activist and stepson of feminist Gloria Steinem, recently gave thanks to Satan for helping him win his Golden Globe award for his role in “Vice,” destroying the reputation of former Vice President Dick Cheney. In C.S. Lewis’ classic “Screwtape Letters,” novice demon “Wormwood” likewise thanked his Satanic life coach for teaching him how to deceive unsuspecting humans.
His diabolical advice: “… the safest road to hell is the gradual one – the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. …”
While there is no perfect party or politician, God-fearing Americans are asking if the time has come to say “Sayonara” to the Democratic Party as it morphs into a European secularist and socialistic entity. It has become increasingly leftist and anti-capitalist in its pursuit of “social justice” and “income equality.” It’s not the “fringe” or a few factions that believe they must aggressively remove “outdated” policies and “unenlightened” politicians hindering those they deem as the “disadvantaged.”
They believe man is not sinful but basically good and that by wealth distribution, freedom from repressive religion and by “progressive” education, we’ll enjoy utopia. They dismiss the wisdom of Nobel laureate Frederick Hayek, author of “The Fatal Conceit”: “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to man how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.”
Recall the sincere but misguided socialist experiment of Gov. William Bradford with the Pilgrims in pooling their harvest together but then discovering there were slackers trying to live off the labors of others. He quickly exposed their laziness and apportioned each a plot of land to work and reap the fruit of his individual labor. This rescued them and incentivized them, resulting in productivity and success.
Exposing dangerous delusion
The Democratic Party’s socialistic economic initiatives are taking root especially among millennials. They’re woefully uneducated on its tenets and the devastation it has brought hundreds of millions in history. They’re seduced by lofty yet unrealistic promises and lured by charismatic politicians often going unchallenged by the sympathetic anti-Trump media.
A current example is their “Green New Deal”:
1. Full employment, and if you dislike your job you depart and the government gets you another.
2. You cannot be fired.
3. Free health care.
4. Free tuition from pre-K through college.
5. Affordable housing for all with rent control and inability to be evicted! This will fix “climate problems” and income inequalities, they promise.
New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the party’s new “star” and a symbol and proponent of democratic socialism. She told “60 Minutes” she was a “radical”; “advocated free health care for everyone”; and proposed a “top tax rate of 70 percent like the U.K. (falsehood – it’s 45 percent), Finland or Sweden” (miniscule and easily manageable populations of 5 and 10 million compared to our 350 million). Our already $22 trillion debt would quickly explode from this delusional scheme, devastating millions, collapse our economy and result in rioting like in Venezuela.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, a communist, has announced the availability of total health care – primary, specialty, pediatric, OBGYN, geriatric and mental – for all 9.5 million residents, including 300,000 illegal immigrants, 600,000 uninsured and anyone with pre-existing conditions. Simply call a 311 number. He proposes the government assume authority over everyone’s property and pushes for universal free pre-K child-care and marijuana legalization. Additionally, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Hillary Clinton propose the “Reproductive Health Act” be enacted immediately to codify abortion guaranteed up until birth in New York.
Presidential hopefuls Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders, are both avowed socialists. California Sen. Kamala Harris is announcing her candidacy, having gained notoriety for arrogant behavior at the Brett Kavanaugh hearing along with forcefully assaulting a judicial nominee simply because he’s a member of the 2-million strong,136-year-old Catholic ‘”Knights of Columbus.
Once marginal, now mainstream
My parents were Democrats, and I grew up as a boy having a positive view of Presidents Truman and Kennedy. I was shocked and saddened when I later discovered the history of the Democratic Party as the party of slavery, secession and segregation. As I’ve watched the ascent of extremism, socialism and godless secularism in their ranks, I’m alarmed with millions of patriotic Americans at the trajectory of the party’s politicians, policies and platform – attractive on the surface but dangerous in their outworking.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi stated in USA Today (Jan. 3) the top two “generational challenges of our time are reducing income disparity and combating the climate crises.” While all of us should strive to be good stewards of the environment, we must be discerning not to succumb to hysteria not based on scientific empirical evidence but much from Al Gore’s theories and disproven myths, which catapulting him to multimillionaire status.
21 areas reveal Democratic Party positions
1. Radical redistribution of wealth;
2. Aggressive climate change initiatives;
3. Complete takeover of health care by federal government plus inclusion of all illegal immigrants;
4. Open immigration policy with full acceptance of all children and relatives; no border walls, entrance requirements, E-verify or penalties for those refusing deportation; disregarding the rule of law and full support for “sanctuary cities”; neglecting national security and allowing George Soros funded anarchy to “crash” our immigration system;
5. Government control over corporate profits;
6. Progressive taxes on the upper middle class and above;
7. Legalization of recreational marijuana;
8. Implementation of comprehensive LGBTQ agenda – including indoctrination of children in schools, transgender initiatives, gender reassignment surgery and removal of any “sexual discrimination” in the workplace and schools, disregarding conscience objections;
9. Taxpayer-financed abortion-on-demand until birth with full-funding of Planned Parenthood;
10. Major defense spending cuts with money redistributed to entitlements;
11. Comprehensive gun control;
12. Liberal, not originalist, judges on the Supreme Court and federal courts;
13. Alignment and support for radical feminist agenda and marches;
14. Increased censorship of “hateful” conservative thought on social media;
15. Liberalized voting standards to include fraudulent practices and everyone the party deems as “disenfranchised”;
16. Partnership with Palestinians;
17. Alignment with United Nations and European Union transnationalism initiatives promoting “One World” globalism, rather than nationalism with international cooperation;
18. Euthanasia/physician-assisted suicide;
19. Taxpayer-funded child-care and college tuition;
20. Elimination of the Electoral College; and
21. Re-establishing the Iranian “nuclear deal” alongside increased protection for Islamic “rights” in America and abroad at the expense of Israel’s safety.
Warning and wake-up call
Without a desperately needed spiritual awakening, America is on a dangerous slope. Millions must recognize how the enemy is using the Democratic Party with its seductive, totally unrealistic, godless vision for America. It is totally foreign to that of our Founding Fathers and 243-year heritage.
The brutal reality is that the Democratic Party is not the one of even a generation ago. It has become radicalized; hostile to biblical values and religious freedoms; disrespectful to individuals and institutions; unashamed in using profanities and employing intimidation in the media and public square; increasingly irrational, lawless, dishonest, hypocritical, corrupt and mean-spirited (remember the Brett Kavanaugh hearing?); and finally, flippant in dismissing “due process” and our two foundational societal pillars of the sanctity of human life alongside the sanctity of man-woman marriage.
Here’s the deal: as we’ve watched the difficult-to-believe destruction of the 108-year-old Boy Scouts of America because they capitulated to forces the Democratic Party championed, let us consecrate ourselves at this defining time to intercession, gospel proclamation, “salt and light” activism and courageous, uncompromising obedience to God. Extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary measures. “Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you. I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty” (2 Corinthians 6:17-18).
The devil is a defeated foe, and no matter how destructive his influence is at this critical time, remember, “The earth belongs to the Lord, and its fullness, the world, and those who dwell in it” (Psalm 24:1).
May God bless the United States of America as we pray and communicate the fact we must return to Him and His ways upon which our nation was founded, a foundation that has resulted in the most blessed and prosperous nation on earth.