(NBCNEWYORK) — At least 24 people were sickened when a stove ventilation motor malfunctioned in the basement of a Midtown church Tuesday, sending carbon monoxide levels soaring so high people were passing out at the scene, officials said.

Three of the two dozen hurt in the chaos at St. Malachy’s Church on 49th Street, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue, were taken to hospitals with serious injuries, but all of the victims are expected to be OK, fire officials said.

Note: Read our discussion guidelines before commenting.