Pentagon confirms U.S. military will not assist Niger evacuation

By Around the Web

Micaela Burrow
Daily Caller News Foundation

No U.S. military forces in Niger will leave the country or assist the State Department’s near-total embassy evacuation, the Pentagon confirmed to the Daily Caller News Foundation on Thursday.

The Department of Defense (DOD) paused all security cooperation activities with Niger’s military after elements of the country’s military claimed to have overthrown the democratically-elected President Mohamen Bazoum, Press Secretary Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said on Tuesday. He added the Pentagon was not aware of any plans to evacuate at the time, but on Wednesday, the State Department ordered all but the most essential embassy personnel to return stateside.

Get the hottest, most important news stories on the Internet – delivered FREE to your inbox as soon as they break! Take just 30 seconds and sign up for WND’s Email News Alerts!

“There are no changes to the U.S. military force posture in Niger during the Department of State-led ordered departure. The Department of State has not requested DoD personnel or equipment as part of the ordered departure,” Ryder told the DCNF on Thursday.

He emphasized the Pentagon’s “focus on a diplomatic solution.”

The Biden administration has so far avoided calling the developments in Niger a “coup,” instead stepping up pressure for security forces to restore Bazoum to power, according to Politico. Doing so could trigger an end to American security assistance programs in Niger that serve as a bulwark against terrorism and Russian influence in the region.

On Tuesday, Ryder said the Pentagon saw no “imminent threat” against any American citizen or embassy staff in Niger.

“As far as security cooperation, those efforts right now are suspended in light of the situation but certainly we maintain close contact with our Niger military counterparts in the country as the situation continues to unfold,” he said.

WND is now on Trump’s Truth Social! Follow us @WNDNews

Gen. Mark Milley, the Joint Chiefs chairman, spoke with his counterpart in Niger on July 27, Reuters reported.

While the military remains in contact, activities such as training have ceased and U.S. military personnel are, for the most part, remaining on base.

“Our forces are doing due diligence when it comes to force protection and remaining on those bases, although when necessary, environment permitting, they are still engaging and going off-base to engage with our Nigerian counterparts as necessary,” Ryder said Tuesday.

Niger’s military blocked all flights out of a drone base the Pentagon build in 2019 for $100 million, Politico reported, citing a U.S. defense official speaking on condition of anonymity. The base hosts MQ-9 Reaper drones, used for surveillance and targeting of terrorists across West and North Africa, which costs roughly $3o million each year to maintain.

This story originally was published by the Daily Caller News Foundation.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected].


IMPORTANT NOTE: To their horror, America’s ruling elites failed to knock out Donald Trump during his four years as president via the fabricated Trump-Russia collusion scandal – conceived and funded by the Hillary Clinton campaign, as the Durham report proves – or through two circus-like impeachment trials. Later came “January 6,” a demonstration-turned-riot by Trump supporters who passionately believed, with good reason, that the recent election – and therefore their country – had just been stolen from them. Members of Congress now want to constitutionally bar Trump from again seeking public office for having instigated “an armed insurrection” (no protester was armed) against America.

Then in March, Trump was indicted in New York on 34 counts of falsifying business records, and in June, still more indictments were filed against Trump – 37 federal criminal charges related to his handling of classified documents. Honest legal experts not in league with the Biden administration openly classify these indictments as somewhere between frivolous and idiotic, not to mention grotesquely politically motivated.

The Deep State’s never-ending persecution of Donald Trump, as well as the incredible back story of the totalitarian agenda Trump’s persecutors are attempting to implement in America and why Trump represents a mortal threat to their nefarious designs – is the focus of the blockbuster July issue of WND’s critically acclaimed monthly Whistleblower magazine, titled “THE PERSECUTION OF DONALD TRUMP: Why the ruling elites loathe – and fear – the 45th president.”

WHISTLEBLOWER is available in both the popular print edition and a state-of-the-art digital version, either single issues or discounted annual subscriptions.


SUPPORT TRUTHFUL JOURNALISM. MAKE A DONATION TO THE NONPROFIT WND NEWS CENTER. THANK YOU!

Leave a Comment